tournament questions

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

tournament questions

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:34 pm

I have a few questions about tournaments.

How many hole does a tournament normally consist of?

What is normally done in the case of rain?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:02 pm

Are there any official PDGA rules governing either of these? If not, I don't think there is one best answer for these questions, since they would both then be under the discretion of the Tournament Director, and could therefore vary from tourney to tourney.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 pm

Not official PDGA, no. Just local club crap.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:35 pm

layout and rain situations are called by the TD. I hosted my first tournament last week..non-PDGA....consisted of 2 rounds of 20 holes....and basically we were playing rain or shine...only exception is ice/lightning

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 pm

I have played in rain before, and it didn't seem like a bad deal. But, I took few steps today and lost my footing. I could not justify risking an injury. Plus, I was sinking ankle deep walking within holes.

What perplexed me is that we were called off the course and stood around for a long time. Then, the course was "modified" to accomodate the rain.

There were many disprepencies that left a bad taste in my mouth; for example, the tournament was supposed to be singles rec and open division. Instead, we played doubles for a payout.

I like doubles, but it still seems like the top ranked players win it regardless of teammates.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: tournament questions

Postby Fritz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:58 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I have a few questions about tournaments.

How many hole does a tournament normally consist of?

What is normally done in the case of rain?

All the tournaments I've been in are usually 3 rounds of 18 holes each. Final 9 for the pros and advanced. I've been in a couple 4 round tournaments of 18 holes. My brother just got done with one that was one 18 hole round and 2 27 hole rounds. Guess it just really depends on the tournament.

You play in any weather, unless there is lightning, then they call a delay.
I was in one tournament where we thought there were funnel clouds and Lightning was spotted 5 miles away, so they called it in waited for almost an hour and then resumed.

Played in a rainy tournament last year that made you want to quit disc golf, but we played and lived and in the end it was fun lookin back, but hell during lol.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to General Discussion