How to prepare for a tournament?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to prepare for a tournament?

Postby coogs » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:56 am

In one month, my state will be holding its amateur championships. It will be the first tournament I have entered.

What kind of training routine or program would help me get ready for tournament play?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:21 am

I dont really prepare at all for tournaments. Other than i work on my putting a little more. In the tourney you'll learn a few things, Driving long isn't where the money is. "Drivin is for show, puttin is for dough"
One thing I realllllly try to work on in tournaments, is sticking to safety shots. If you play a safe round and try to end up as close to your normal score, you'll find that you'll do pretty well. When im stuck in the woods, I dont try crazy shots thru 1 foot wide holes in the trees or no crazy stuff like that.

Even if it means taking a stroke just so i can lay up a predictable putt, Im gonna play it safe so I shoot 1 over instead of 3 or 4.
If you play a consistant game, you'll see others who are trying to take highly improbable routes make the mistakes and lose strokes on you.
This is how I play in tourneys, and i find I shoot 2-3 strokes under my average game.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:56 pm

its hard to work on but the mental game. Dont try to play catch up too much. (similar to sticking to safe shots)

practice pressure situations if you can, play w/ people at or above your skill level if possible, possibly w/ some $ on it.
if you get frustrated after a bad throw, or tough luck, avoid throwing w/ out having your focus back.
Good Luck
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:03 pm

The week before a tournament I Play the course the tournament is on, as much as possible. I practice my putting more, I increase my current 300 a night routine to 400-500.

The day/night before the tournament, I relax, watch some TV, hand wash each of my discs with cold water, clean out my bag, put in the tournament essentials and go to sleep around 11pm.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:25 am

I wish I had the $ to go to enough tourneys to develop a ritual (this job change really drained any spare $ I had)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jHarr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:15 am

realize you can only control your own game...
you need to whistle and smile after a birdie or a bogey...
what is behind you is no matter...
play some catch to warm up, then imagine you're playin catch in the round...
take a breath before every shot, then relax and do what you know how to...
every shot is the tourney- but you can't beat yourself up for a bad one, they happen...
it ain't about being good so much as its about not being bad...
look around, you're playin golf all day with other like minded fools- have fun!
jHarr
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:33 am

I played my first tourny in ages a few weeks ago. I prepared by playing for 4 hours the day before. Bad idea, I am not in the correct shape to practice that hard then play a tourny.

My gf got on my case; she stated that I payed 15 bucks to play on a free course. I did come in 4th which I guess is good.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:50 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I wish I had the $ to go to enough tourneys to develop a ritual (this job change really drained any spare $ I had)
You don't need $ to get a ritual going. Thread talking about focus, pressure, ect. Once everything is lined up don't "make the shot", you want to "excecute perfect body movements" which translates to the perfect throw.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:29 am

i was talking more in refrence to fritz's comments about washing his discs and stuff the same before all his tourneys, not about how I play.

and as for Texas paying 15$ to play on a free course, tell your GF youre lucky, the cheapest Ive seen a tourney in CO is 28$ for advanced (non sanctioned), but theyre usually around 40$
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:50 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:i was talking more in refrence to fritz's comments about washing his discs and stuff the same before all his tourneys, not about how I play.

and as for Texas paying 15$ to play on a free course, tell your GF youre lucky, the cheapest Ive seen a tourney in CO is 28$ for advanced (non sanctioned), but theyre usually around 40$

Ah, my fault.

$40??? Come on out to California... $10 for unsanctioned events. All Divisions.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:49 am

sounds like a dream ;-). When I have the money to compete I usually feel I got my moneys worth between player packages, Prizes and fun and all...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Return to General Discussion