Hit Versus Follow Through

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hit Versus Follow Through

Postby HtownDger » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:08 pm

I understand that the hit or snap requires the wrist bending back and then coming to an adrupt stop, causing the disc to rip out of the hand. I also understand that a strong follow through is a must for a solid drive. What I don't understand is how one is supposed to snap the wrist, causing it to come to a stop, and also execute a strong follow through with the arm continuing around. It's difficult for me to undrstand this as it seems like the snap and follow through are two seperate actions and I can't seem to get both to work together in the throw. I know I must be missing something here, can someone please clear this up for me?
HtownDger
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:55 pm

actually, i have often treated the snap + follow through as 2 different entities.

you don't consciously snap the wrist... it is an incidental motion that occurs by the forearm changing direction. e.g. you extend forwards, once you reach max extension, the arm must travel upwards or outwards. that moment where it changes direction, the wrist stops moving forward and the hand returns into original position.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby daniebl2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:37 pm

I have another question regarding the lines of hit.
Where should your arm be in relationship to your body at the time of the hit. Assuming your performing the x-step and throwing at a target straight ahead...what should your foot positoning look like, body position, and arm position look like at the hit. at what point should should your arm be uncoiled....is it perpendicular to your body....or should it be in line with your body pointing at the target?
Also
Does this change depending on wether you throw with the full reach back method or the bent elbow technique?

I've read all the articles on technique that I could find and it gets a little confusing. About half of the articles are pertaining to the full reach back and the other half are the bent elbow.

I've been playing for quite some time but the big D has been eluding me.

Once in a while I'll have what I'll refer to as a flash of brillance when I'll get a good audible snap and maybe an extra 35-50 ft but It's not been repeatable.
I'm currently throwing about 300 ft with little to no snap.
daniebl2
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:31 pm

I have been trying to figure out a way to ask this very question...

I read the question that you have asked and this is what I want to know the answer to, too.

This should be good, waiting for the Gospel to get another 50 to 100 feet...

Lay it on us...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:49 am

I could be wrong, but I think the 5th picture down on this page:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... aney.shtml

is about where the hit happens.

I've found that I get the best snap when I maintain correct wrist and forearm orientation thoughout the throw, am able to get my elbow to follow the right line and follow through strongly in the same plane in which I threw. I also find that my best throws are when the snap isn't audable.

As far as the rest of my body, I sort of think of it like a Slinky. Imagine taking a Slinky, setting it on a table so it sits upright and holding the top so it doesn't move. Then, twist the bottom and once it's twisted, let go of the top. It will uncoil gradually from the table up. I think of my last step in my x-step the same way. I'll plant my foot a little bit twards the target, my knee will follow, my hips will follow after that and then my elbow and shoulders will whip around. It all has to happen quickly, though or the timing will be off.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 pm

garu is correct. walt's fifth frame is the start of the hit, his elbow is in the midst of its extension.

another example where the fifth frame is the start of the hit.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... rius.shtml

pulling through the shot and completing the extension of the elbow are the key to the follow through.

the other important factor is that your finish stays consistent with the plane you are pulling the disc on, or it will give off-axis torque and generally make the disc turn over.
Blake_T

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:20 pm

Blake,

Am I supposed to throw my arm straight out in front of me as I pull across my chest or am I supposed to pull my arm around me after I pull across my chest?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:19 pm

both? hehe

ideally, your arm will straight immediately following the disc rip, then the arm will continue around on its follow through.

in terms of the pull, you want the disc as close to your body as possible, which will also give you the most elbow bend and potential extension.
Blake_T

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:49 pm

Went out today and threw 18...

Found another 30 feet on the course...

Discovered what you just explained thanks.

Took your advice about the lighter discs too. Throwing the hell out of my Dragon even on non-water holes.

This stuff is starting to make sense.

As drivers throwing my QJLS at 163, my Sidewinder in the high 160's and my Dragon.

Thanks for the input and the advice.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:28 pm

congrats

glad to hear things are working out
Blake_T

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:21 pm

Been Playin' almost all summer.

Been Reading the DiscGolfReview from the beginning but never stopped in on the Forum.

Little over a week of reading the Forum and I now throw 60 feet farther.

Pretty Cool.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daniebl2 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:21 pm

First of all THANK YOU ALL for your replies, the video's were especially useful.
Thought I would share some feed back on the hit. I think I have finally discovered the secret to getting the snap. I'll try and explain as best I can, then perhaps we can get a pro to weigh in and confirm or deny if this sounds right.

I'm trying to use the bent elbow technique and not the full reachback method and I'm going to primarily focus on the arm movement.

BEFORE
I was starting my throw with my elbow bent and the disc under my back ear. I would start the run up with the disc pretty much cocked and stationary below the ear.....and after the x-step, I would uncoil right after stepping onto my plant foot with as much power as possible. I was trying to get the snap with my arm position at approximately a 45 deg angle body and the target. I was getting little to no snap and peaked with a max distance of about 300 ft.

AFTER
What I finally noticed was that most of the videos were showing that the disc seems to be constantly moving and that the snap occurs pretty much with your arm 90 deg from body and the target (perpindicular to your chest). So what my new throw looks like is this:

I'm starting with the disc chest high but with it pointing straight at the target. As I start my x-step I'm bringing the disc around with my arm slow and with my arm just shy of being fully extended.....as my arm / disc are pointed straight out from the middle of my chest..I start to bend the arm until I get to about 90 deg...(the disc comes in and is very close to the chest) at that point, I pull through and try to accelerate as quickly as possible...very fluid like. ( It's almost exactly like snapping a towel at someone) This acceleration starts right as your stepping onto your plant foot, and the momentum from the snap / follow through will pretty much spin you around for the big finish.

After 2 rounds of practice I was throwing 345 with 10-15 mph head winds. I can also tell that I'm still leaving some D on the table. I'm sure I can more by extending the reach back and working on getting some more wined with the lower body.

I hope this helps, and thanks all!!

Any and all comments welcome.

[/b]
daniebl2
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:13 am

Dan,

In what you are describing....

Do you start with your toes on both feet towards the basket or do you start with the sides of your feet towards the basket?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daniebl2 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 am

I start with the sides of my feet aimed at the basket.
daniebl2
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Dan,

Thanks.

Tried doing what you described using your starting position.

Found another 20 feet today.

Between you and Blake in the last month I found 100 feet on my Drives.

Going from 220/230 to 320/330.

I am now throwing past a couple of the baskets on my home course that I always came up short on.

Thanks.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique