Always a par 3?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:46 pm

i kinda disagree with that. I dont use pars really at all, so it dosent effect me. In a tournament, or anytime your playing with people, your score is all relative to the people your playing with. if you scored +5, and still got second place in a tourny then thats all that matters.

i do think par helps when playing a new course though. I hate going to a course that has no signs to say what par is because you just dont know what to expect. like someone said before, you would drive a par 4 different than if it was labled a par 3.

i think that every hole should have a birdie possibility. To me that means one drive, and one reasonable approach. if it will take 2 300'+ drives, than that should not be a par 3. a pro might be able to get a 500' drive, but then that still leaves a 100' putt. sure people may average around 3 shots, but every hole should have a birdie attempt if played well.

and again, i dont even play the course par, i just judge myselfe on my own average, but i do think that if pars were taken seriously every hole should have a birdie possibility for anyone who can drive an average of around 350'.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

if you mark a 400' hole as a par 4, then anyone who can drive 350+ now has an eagle attempt.

if you compare this to regular golf, only the longest accurate hitters (top 1%) generally end up w/ eagle attempts.

in disc golf, this compares to people that can reach 500'+ holes off the tee.

i never hear anyone near the top ability levels in disc worry too much about par. nor, do i hear lower end ball golfers (think 75 yard drive) talk about that the par is too low because they can't possibly get a 3 on a 200 yard hole.

ball golf has their idea of "scratch golfers" and handicapping... i don't understand why that concept doesn't translate to disc golfers.

the average 1000 rated pro can accurately throw about 425'.
yes, i believe they should have a comparative advantage over players that can only throw an accurate 250' drive simply because... they are better.

the idea of making every hole a birdie op gives them yet a larger advantage, which makes things even less competitive.

some holes are just harder than others.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:32 pm

well i get you, i dont mean that a 400' hole should be a par 4, that dosent make sense, your right. i just dont think that 2 great 300-350' drives should leave you with a 50' putt for just par. i guess i didnt give it much thought, but i never really cared about par anyways.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Trekari » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:06 pm

In the end, concepts such as 'par,' 'birdie,' 'eagle,' 'bogey,' etc don't matter in the least. The person who wins is the golfer who has the lowest cumulative number of throws for the round.

If an 18 hole course is comprised of par-3s exclusively, and you threw 59 shots, you are +5. If the course is par-4s with the same 59 shots, then you threw -13.

Either way, someone who only threw 58 shots still beat you.
Trekari
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:12 pm

i just feel par should mean something, and there should be some way to differentiate a 150' gimme hole in the wide open vs. a 300' tunnel shot across courses.

right now, the WCP/SSA does that by giving overly easy holes a par 2, as you aren't really gaining a stroke on the field by making a birdie, but you are definitely losing a stroke by making a par.

the thing that doesn't really make sense to me is that 1 stroke on an easy course is worth more ratings points than 1 stroke on a hard course. the argument is that easy courses have less available strokes (more available deuces) so that each stroke is worth more...

this makes sense numerically, but not from a standpoint of the feeling of each hole. making a birdie on the hardest hole on a tough course will result in less ratings points...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:26 am

Didn't i start a thread like this? When I first started playing, I played holes as marked. We have 2 holes marked as 4's on my local course. I was quickly informed that in tournaments, everything is played as a 3....

Since I don't play tournaments, I don't know how this affects me. (came in 4th in a local tourny...the last one I will ever play).

The only problems that it causes is when you use jargon like birdy and bogey. I remember getting into a fight because I called something a par, and it was actually a bogey by tournament rules. If your wondering why it just wasn't discussed? Well, that wacky tabacy doesn't allow for you to have meaningful discussions on the course with your peers....

So, I don't know what to tell you. There is a 1500 foot hole in Wimberly Texas; I believe it's a par 5 as marked. How should I play it? quintiple body? :D
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 am

I know up in Presidio Hill's home course they have a par 3 thats 1200'? in long position, monterey at my home course has a 660' par 3 that 98% of the time is playing directly into a headwind. it doesnt matter what your score says, if only 1 out of 9 people par that hole in your division then it plays like a par 4, except you don't get the ego boost you want. Live and let live.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion