Movies

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Glock23 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:43 am

Saw Juno this week as well. Loved it.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby readysetstab » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:50 pm

jamsisjams wrote:Saw Juno and loved it. Kimya Dawson is the shit.

Also saw There Will Be Blood and couldn't finish it. Something about using the same damn song for 80+ minutes just didn't do it for me. I know that there was a plot but I got lost because my mom ambushed me with a religion talk. After we settle that up, we went back to the movie but it was too late at that point.

yeah, that movie was definitely very "eff religion." i can see where that might spark religious arguments. i liked it :D
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 am

Finally watched Juno this weekend. Super good flick, the character Juno was wayyyy to cool and well spoken to be 16 years old but its hard not to like her. Really funny, good soundtrack an overall good film as has been said before. Really safe comedy everyone can enjoy.

I also rented and watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead with Ethan Hawk and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Pretty intense the whole way through, Hoffman flips out at the end and killniliates everything. Unlike Juno, this one probably isn't for everyone but if your into killing and "I can't stop watching" uncomfortable situations in your films ----->Check it out!!!
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby DELETED » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Glock23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 am

Saw forgetting sarah marshall this weekend.

Very funny, although they showed a few too many dicks for my taste.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am

readysetstab wrote:
jamsisjams wrote:Saw Juno and loved it. Kimya Dawson is the shit.

Also saw There Will Be Blood and couldn't finish it. Something about using the same damn song for 80+ minutes just didn't do it for me. I know that there was a plot but I got lost because my mom ambushed me with a religion talk. After we settle that up, we went back to the movie but it was too late at that point.

yeah, that movie was definitely very "eff religion." i can see where that might spark religious arguments. i liked it :D

Thats not really the way I took it. I thought it was more centered around greed and how people can abandon their family, values, and lifelong religious beliefs for Money, not so much on the validity of religion itself. Although thats pretty much all this 3 hour movie had to say! I found it pretty one-dimensional, didnt really like it.

There are some nice shots and some great acting in it though, but i hated the soundtrack!
adidadg

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:45 am

ZAMson wrote:Juno - I did enjoy it.

But I'm so glad I'm not in HS anymore because for the next 5 years, children are going to be speaking in dialogue from Juno. And thinking they're cool.

I think it torqued over a little to be honest. Kinda like a movie about a girl who speaks in movie dialogue, actually.

hehe, I agree. It was a very good movie, but some of the dialogue did seem a bit contrived to make the movie "instantly quotable". I actually heard an interview with the writer before Juno became as popular as it has, and she said that's part of what she was aiming for with the dialogue...to have those quotes that people repeat all the time, a la any Will Ferrell movie. Still though, very well done and great acting all around (I particularly liked the supporting cast, esp. Juno's parents).
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DELETED » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:57 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

haha, now now, not ALL movie quoting is bad, its just when you have situations like this one that things get tedious. But as you can tell, I'm a big fan of the Big Lewbowski (overplayed, yes, favorite movie of too many frat boys, yes...still a damn good flick nonetheless), and there are just so many times when quotes from that movie have real world application.

I do kinda have issues with writers putting in little catch phrases though, thinking "hahahah, just wait, all the kids are gonna be repeating this within a month!"
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DELETED » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Full Metal Jacket- "Five dollars is all my mom will let me spend."
"Easy! You just don't lead 'em as much! Ain't war hell!"

Dude, where's my car?- "What's mine say?" "Dude! What's mine say?" "Sweet!'
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Glock23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:22 pm

ZAMson wrote:i'll start the list of acceptably quotable movies now. suggestions welcome. possibly stupid tho. buyer beware. I am Jack's Decider.

1. Big Lebowski
2. Fight Club

3. Super Troopers
4. Dumb and Dumber
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Glock23 wrote:
ZAMson wrote:i'll start the list of acceptably quotable movies now. suggestions welcome. possibly stupid tho. buyer beware. I am Jack's Decider.

1. Big Lebowski
2. Fight Club

3. Super Troopers
4. Dumb and Dumber

5. Pulp Fiction
6. Coming to America
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby jamsisjams » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:58 pm

7. Boondock Saints
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:01 pm

jamsisjams wrote:7. Boondock Saints

FTW!!! Love that movie!

8. Diehard
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.