Newbie to The Site Rate My Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbie to The Site Rate My Bag

Postby Coleman25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Discraft ESP Crush 171g
Discraft ESP FLX Surge 171g
Discraft Champion X-Clone 173g
Innova Star Beast 171g
Innova DX Cro 172g
Innova Pro Destroyer 171g
Innova DX Roc 174g
Innova DX XD 170g
Innova DX XD 172g
Millennium Millennium EXP1 172g
Millennium Millennium JLS 172g
Coleman25
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Striker!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 pm

whats your max D????
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Coleman25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:04 pm

I would say somewhere between 300-350
Coleman25
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 pm

pick one mold
Discraft ESP Crush 171g
Discraft ESP FLX Surge 171g
Innova Pro Destroyer 171g

pick one mold
Millennium Millennium EXP1 172g
Discraft Champion X-Clone 173g

pick one mold
Innova DX Roc 174g
Innova DX Cro 172g
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Coleman25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 pm

I dont understand what you mean by picking one mold....I have been playing off and on for the past 12 years but never really did much research into what and why I was throwing it.
Coleman25
Tree Magnet

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 am

Blake is suggesting that you are throwing multiple molds when you could be throwing multiple versions of the same mold. By picking a mold and sticking with it, you cut down on the different variables that result from the different feels of different molds. With your current bag, you definitely have some overlap concerning how your discs fly. Of course, this assumption is based on how these molds fly when new.

While each of these molds might do something different for you, you could simply pick any one in the various groups to take care of the shots which that particular group would perform. Thus, your Crush, Surge and Destroyer are all high-speed, relatively stable molds; the EXP1 and X-Clone are slower, stable drivers; and the Roc and Cro are both stable midrange molds. For example, if you got yourself a handful of Rocs and cycled them as they were beat, within a few months or so you could have a wide assortment of different flying discs that you have personally seasoned rather than a ton of different molds that do different things but that you only throw occasionally.

I feel like explaining that might have just confused the situation even more so.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Coleman25 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:29 am

No it makes alot of sense. Like I said earlier I never put much thought into what I was buying....I was just buying to get new plastic. I just got some new discs on ebay as well

2 Rams
1 Firebird
1 TeeRex
1 Valkryie

Do you suggest that I should just shelve these for now and concentrate on the discs that I have? Or would you consider trading them in (I work 1 block from the wright life) for multiples of my favorite mold?
Coleman25
Tree Magnet

Postby tushamajig13 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 am

IME, Blake is definitely a bona fide minimalist and quickly converted me into one as well. however, there are still some out there that are convinced that there is no overlap in their bags, and if it works, then theres no big deal.

overall, if you like your set up and if three separate discs are easier for you to understand than variations on one mold, then by all means, go for it. but minimalism has reduced my second guessing since i cut down my bag to 4-5 molds (with 20-22 total discs). if the shot is between 200 and 220, i know im grabbing a wizard...it just depends on the one that is right for the shot. this also cuts down on readjusting my grip for a different disc. if its a midrange shot, it will always feel like a roc. drivers will always feel like orcs....because they are all orcs.

its just one of the many philosophies behind bag building. i adopted it and havent looked back....

now as for your new question that i so blatantly disregarded,

Rams are discontinued so if you lose them, they will be difficult to replace...instead of them, i would go for the EXP-1, X-CLone, or the Firebird. so far, i have found predators and firebirds to be the best overstable discs currently on the market. so choose one of those three, and keep the rams if you like the way they look (and also in like 10 years someone might be jonesing for them so you can make a little money on ebay)

Teerexes are a lot of disc for someone with your power (especially if it is a Teerex-X). I throw a bout the same d as you, and the teerex didnt add anything to my game. i know a lot of people like them, i just didnt.

The valk seems like it would make a good control/understable driver in your bag. since hte crush, surge, and destroyer are all really long drivers, they are more difficult to control than the valk. and once the valk beats in a little, it will go from a straight to a straight/turnover/hyzerflip disc and be very useful on a course

i am by no means an expert, just tossing in my opinions and thoughts...good luck
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 am

Not only are Rams OOP, they are slow and extremely overstable. They are probably the most overstable disc there ever was. Unless you have a super-human cannon arm, they will be of very minimal use. It might be better to try to convince someone that they are rare and collectible and trade them for something else.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Coleman25 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:45 am

I really never used the Ram as a driver (Unless I needed a big tight Hyzer) I mainly use them to get out from behind trees when I need a big hook with some D on them. Its more of a sentimental thing than anything. I had one for a long time ( I actually won a innova discatcher with one), and ive always wanted one in my bag ever since I lost my other one. It will be a rarity that I pull it out, but There are many times when I wished I had one. I picked them both up for $4 a piece on Sunday through ebay so at least I didnt pay a premium for them. What are some discs made now with the same characteristics of the Ram?
Coleman25
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am

I don't know really. Maybe a Demon? Drone? Something like that.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby tushamajig13 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am

if you are looking for ridiculously overstable and slow, i would have to say Q-sentinels, Drones, or demons. if you want ridulously overstable and a little faster, your exp-1 or firebird should work fine (dependant on weights). if you reallly want a new disc, heavy banshees, flicks, xtremes, or whippet-xs should fit the bill
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion