Rocket X2 always veers hard right

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rocket X2 always veers hard right

Postby foobar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:42 pm

I've been playing for over a year now with first a shark then roc (on an urban course near my university).

I can drive 250-300 ft on a good drive with my Roc but lately I've been fooling around with an X2 that I found (it's a little banged up). My problem is that no matter how much hyzer angle I throw it with, it always flips over after about 30 ft into a sharp anyzer and turfs itself.

I cannot figure out why it's doing this. If anything I figure it should veer left.

Any pointers?
foobar
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 pm

foobar:

from the sound of it the disc may either be very beat or you may have off-axis torque, likely in the form of a wrist roll over.

is pretty safe to say you likely have a lot of nose down.

one thing to try is also putting a little more height under it.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby foobar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I get the nose down as my drives with my Roc rarely get above 20 feet unless I totally bork them. As for roll-over, maybe that's the case although it seems susipicous that I can throw my other discs the exact same way and they fly perfectly fine.

I mean, it's brutal with this disc, it literaly jumps from a hyzer angle flying pretty much straight to an anhyzer one. It's not a gradual thing at all.

The course I play on is at my local university (UVIC) and consists of very unique holes like hitting signs and stuff and you can only play at night. It's pretty cool but discs get scratched up very easily as many of the holes have tons of pavement (parking lots for example).

How beat up is too beat up? The X2 has a few very small chunks missing out of the sides and the entire rim is scratched up badly. I've never played on a "real" course so I haven't seen what normal wear would look like.
foobar
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:50 pm

i play with a lot of very beat up discs. generally i sand them down to smooth off rough spots.

it could be it is just too beat. generally discs that are very warped will be a lot flippier.

the abruptness of the flight change says to me that either the disc is VERY beat, or that you are doing something to force it over. if your rocs are flying straight, then i would wager the disc is just too beat.

can't help much more than that without seeing you throw or a video of you throwing.
Blake_T

Postby foobar » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:19 am

Ok, went out last night and used a crush that I borrowed from my friend and it flew in a wide looping hyzer curve and I threw it the same way. Must be the disc ;)
foobar
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:09 am

foobar wrote:Ok, went out last night and used a crush that I borrowed from my friend and it flew in a wide looping hyzer curve and I threw it the same way. Must be the disc ;)

It's the disc. It took me a long time to accept that discs aren't permanent investments (maybe the Z plastic). I have many discs that will turn hard right no matter what you do. It's actually fun to watch such a disc go from hyzer to flat, then cut right.

Blake, does sanding do anything to fix that? I am yet to try it. I have a few discs with gaps missing that still fly relatively well (a demon for example).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:30 pm

sanding smooths off rough spots and makes the disc more comfortable to hold.

unless the disc is severely beat, it shouldn't really dive. from my experiences it usually takes over 500 throws on a course with a disc to get it to where it's uselessly understable.

if you have less than 450' of consistent power, any time a disc "dives" to the right unintentionally, 99% of the time it is caused by off axis torque and/or flat out throwing too hard.
Blake_T

Return to Technique