Your favorite disc that you refuse to throw

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby deaddisc » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:18 am

I've found maybe 4 discs in my long and illustrious 4 month dg career, and not a single one has had a phone number on it. If I ever find one that has a # on it or a name of someone I know, I'll return it. If it's just a name that I don't know, however, my sharpie's comin' out.

Well this has been under serious debate here for a while now. I understand both sides of the story, but most people around here would fight/message-board-flare-up over such sharpie usage(pretty lame I know). Dont get me wrong; Im not condeming you at all, Im just interested in what the rest of the Disc golf world feels about this.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:37 am

Dead,

In my neck of the woods there is no disc golf store or shop to have a lost and found set up.

It is Ebay, online stores, Trunksellers [like myself], and Dick's Sporting goods.

How you gonna return something in a situation like that without a phone number or email address?
Last edited by Jwt4412 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Rooster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:03 am

heres how i feel.

1. name on it - i will try to find the person and if i can't i will post it up on our local DG boards.
2. phone number/pdga # - pretty easy to find the person and i'll get it back to them.
3.no name or info - i will post it up on the boards with some missing info about it and if you can tell me what that missing info is its yours. after about a month or so i will mark it and make it mine.

any sort of info wther i know the person or not is grounds for returning it.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:47 am

deaddisc wrote:
I have a nice collection of dyed discs that I found in lakes (about 30.

Don't you ever catch shit for saying that you keep discs you have found in lakes? I know where I live one may be castrated for performing an act such as this. Not that I agree with their overreaction, but Im surprised it's not a universal thing.

Terry is accually really good about getting discs back to people, he was accountable for 80% of the dics I have had returned (4/5) Im still waiting for some people to return some, my disc golf karma should be that good (ive returned 100+ discs :?, oh and ive probably lost a good 50)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby deaddisc » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:52 pm

It is Ebay

This is where I've gotten into trouble, with Ebay purchased discs with other's names on them. To the point where now I carry my Ebay invoices with me for any of these questionable discs.

How you gonna return something in a situation like that without a phone number or email address?

And you are absolutely right, there is really no return process for these situations. And even for new players who find discs, I have no problem with them using an old disc that I probably wouldnt use even if they did return it. In my mind any disc that I lose is gone for good, it's just an extremely pleasant surprise when one is returned after the fact.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 pm

yeah, i don't expect a disc back but it is nice when one gets returned to me. it's like christmas in july!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BHW » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:53 pm

I've played off and on for well over 10 years now. I've lost a few discs, all with my name/number on them. I've never gotten one back...ever. I tend to believe most folks have a finders/keepers attitude. I actually can only think of one friend who plays, who has had a disc returned, and that guy mailed it to him from out of town.

I rarely walk out and leave one behind. I left my all time favorite cheeta in the jungle one day after we wasted a good 20 minutes looking for it. Unless it's in some nasty water, I'll usually look until I decide I didn't want that disc anyhow. I'd have a stroke if someone called and said they found a disc of mine.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Over the Top » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:20 pm

Well if I find a disc I post a description up on the DG course board and if no one calls it falls into my rotation. I don't mind losing discs so long as they are found. I have never had one returned but that is because I don't write my name on it. I would rather see someone else pick it up and use it than have it rot in the woods if you know what I mean. Plastic is plastic and basically easily replacable plus it means a new disc to try out.
Over the Top
Noob

Postby Rooster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:57 pm

until you lose a CE valk or some other nearly irreplacable discs......
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:38 am

Rooster wrote:until you lose a CE valk or some other nearly irreplacable discs......

why carry if you cant replace?
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby ParanoidPiranhasDave » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:40 am

My brother in law gives his name and number on all his discs. He loses quite a few (we call him Mulligans because he throws so many, then forgets to pick a few up).

A week ago, he got a call from someone who'd found one: "Is this Trevar? Hi, I found your disc and I'm not giving it back."

Now THATS bad.
Paranoid Piranhas!

Disc golf kicks minge.
ParanoidPiranhasDave
Noob

Postby Rooster » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:49 am

i've heard storys about that i've even heard of someone calling to tell the person that their disc be being ransomed and would be "compramized" if he didn't pay up within 24 hours.......
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

ransom

Postby twmccoy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:22 pm

Rooster wrote:i've heard storys about that i've even heard of someone calling to tell the person that their disc be being ransomed and would be "compromised" if he didn't pay up within 24 hours.......

I heard a story of something like that here last year. Some young kids were fishing discs out and demanding like $20 for people to get their plastic back. One other guy was fishing discs out during a tourny and demanding money for them. That is just low class.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby dscglfgeo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:30 am

I've been playing disc for 3 years now and last year alone I lost more than 50 discs. I didn't get a single one back, all had my name and PDGA # on them.

I actually had one guy get a hold of the PDGA to find out who I was and still didn't get that one back.

I always try to give them back.

all i can say is "Well what are ya gonna do"...
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby garublador » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:10 am

dscglfgeo wrote:I've been playing disc for 3 years now and last year alone I lost more than 50 discs. I didn't get a single one back, all had my name and PDGA # on them.

I actually had one guy get a hold of the PDGA to find out who I was and still didn't get that one back.

I always try to give them back.

all i can say is "Well what are ya gonna do"...

I just stopped putting my name on the back of my discs. That way when I don't get them back I don't feel like someone is ripping me off.

The way I figure it, even if I lose a disc or two every round I play (which I don't), it's still cheaper than ball golf.
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion