ambidextrous throwers

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

ambidextrous throwers

Postby JacksWeather » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:17 pm

I was wondering if instead of throwers working on their forehand for a nice reliable curve to the right, if some instead just try doing a good lefthand backhand? Would that just take a ton more practice so people don't do it? (regarding the skilled right handed players)
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:43 pm

there are a handful of people who do it. i only know 1 person who's ever gotten to 400'+ both ways and he was told by a doctor he had to do it or quit DG because of muscle imbalances that were causing significant pain. most that use it in competition end up being able to eclipse 300' lefty.

however, imo, sidearm is more useful because it can be thrown in restricted areas where a backhand isn't possible.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby alerik » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:35 am

I started playing Disc Golf in 1997 as a RHBH thrower with a horrible side arm. No matter how hard I tried I could never get my side arm shots to cover any distance. A year later I wasn't playing anymore because I had moved.
I picked up the game about a year ago and the same ol thing happened. When I first learned to throw, I didn't know anything about grip, footwork, or any throwing techniques. I just reached back and heaved the disc as straight and as flat as I could. After finding this site I realized what I needed to correct, but since I learned wrong initially, changing my form was fighting an up hill battle.
One day out of frustration I got mad and decided I was going to throw the last 5 holes of the day left handed just to spite myself. When we complete our round I discovered I could drive better left handed (LHBH) than I could right handed. I have come to realize that because my right hand is dominate I try to muscle my throws. When I thrown LHBH, my left arm stays loose and I am able to get more snap out of my throws. I now throw farther LHBH although thanks to Disc Review my RHBH is slowly catching up.
If nothing else I've tried to relax more on my RHBH shots because I have seem the positive effects it has had on my LHBH. One other plus is that I don't need a side arm shot cause I can throw with both hands.
If I can't beat you now, I will practice until I can.
alerik
Noob

Postby Eric O » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:13 pm

See if you can make anything out of this:

I am predominantly a lefty. It is the hand I write with and the first hand I go to for most motor tasks. Baseball or golf swing also left handed. Jumpshot left handed. Here is where it stops making sense... I am much better at dribbling a basketball with my right, and for reasons unknown or forgotten, I learned to throw a disc right handed as well. I also practice Kendo right handed but they wouldn't teach it lefty to me in Japan. At least that part is easy to understand.

Anyway I thought along similar lines because it seemed like I may have greater potential for precise msucle control with my left arm. I haven't put a lot of time into my left handed throw so far, but it is proving difficult to learn compared to throwing forehand with my right arm. In other words, yes, it does take a ton more practice to learn to throw from the opposite side of your body. :)
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:06 am

When forced to use your off hand, it develops quickly, I believe. When I injured my shoulder in high school, I finished the season as a lefty.

I am having some right shoulder pain currently and have given some thought to trying to switch. I can throw about the same distance I normally throw, but my accuracy is off. I figure when I quit playing tennis, my shoulder will be fine though. Just need rest.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique