Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby williamberry » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 am

I'll go ahead and add another endorsement for this grip as well...

I'm not getting much more distance than I used too, maybe 10-20 ft on a good pull (I can hit about 400-425 max, 375 or so generally), but this grip has most definitely helped clean up my release. The disc feels great leaving my hand, and I know it's going where I want it to. It's much easier to hit and have the disc hold the line I want than when I gripped the disc in the seam of my hand.

To anyone who feels uncomforatable with this grip, I did as well for the first several rounds. I'm so used to holding the disc in the seam of my hand (that's what works best for a lid - I'm an ultimate player), but just keep at it and get used to the feeling. After a few rounds it feels natural now.
williamberry
Noob

Postby tumpsi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 am

williamberry wrote:To anyone who feels uncomforatable with this grip, I did as well for the first several rounds. I'm so used to holding the disc in the seam of my hand (that's what works best for a lid - I'm an ultimate player), but just keep at it and get used to the feeling. After a few rounds it feels natural now.

Seconded. It stil feels awkward with Rocs, tho.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby williamberry » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:10 am

Agreed. Drivers I've got down. But my Buzzes and Aviars are having a harder time adjusting. They're getting there though.
williamberry
Noob

Re: Grip Technique

Postby freeus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm

masterbeato wrote:
This is how it looks when gripped:
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/Picture156.jpg[/img][/img]

I think I must have weird hands. I've been trying to get my fingers into this position and I'm finding it physically impossible to do. If the disc is resting above the seam as shown in masterbeato's original picture, there is no way to get my fingers curled in enough to grip the rim:
Anybody else experience this or do I just have short fingers? (Sorry for the lousy picture)
Life is like bull riding: you're never ready, it's just your turn.
freeus
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Cheetah - seriously

Postby jmammo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:22 pm

I tried this grip out today on the course with o.k. results. I did get more distance and the control was about the same, but I grip locked the disc twice. I don't know if grip locking it has to do with the grip itself or if it was just me.
I do like the grip however, and I will probably get out in the field to get in some more testing.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:28 pm

freeus:

you aren't thumb forward
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Freeus, you aren't bending your fingers at the knuckles. You should be able to put your ring and pinky fingers against the base of the thumb where the disc is resting. If you can't, it's a physical issue. Your fingers look long enough to do it though.

Try this - grip the disc with the disc in the seam of your palm. Grip it with your fingers like you normally do. Then, just take your other hand and move the disc up from the seam to the pad of the base of the thumb. Nothing else should change. If you can grip a disc in the seam, you can grip it the way MB is showing it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby BIF13 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:17 pm

williamberry wrote:Agreed. Drivers I've got down. But my Buzzes and Aviars are having a harder time adjusting. They're getting there though.

I have the same thing going on with my buzzzes and wasps (and my fav, the mrx). I re-adjust the disc before my throw. Also, I can't get my pinky under the rim either, but that is minor to me. I curl it up outside the disc and let it rip, if I am losing any D, its a good trade off for the consistency I get from the nose down, this grip has done me the world of good!
Z Nuke - Z Force - Z Surge - Z Avenger SS - Z Stalker - Z Wasp - Z Buzzz - ESP Meteor - ESP Comet - D Focus - D Magnet
BIF13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Nuke

Postby JR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:15 am

Freeus during a throw the wrist should be vertical so I hope in the picture your wrist was tilted abnormally for showing your fingers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:54 am

Blake_T wrote:freeus:

you aren't thumb forward
Exactly. Look at the line from masterbeato's wrist bone to the end of his thumb. Compare that to freeus's. Getting your thumb into correct position will help a lot.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby freeus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I spent about an hour today working on just the grip (not throwing). I had to use my other hand and physically force the fingers into position at first and it hurt like #@!!8*; my whole forearm is still kinda throbbing. After a while I found that for some reason it is easier to put the fingers inside the rim first and then raise the disc to the "above the seam" position, rather than try and bring the fingers up to the disc. Also putting the thumb forward more helps some. By the end I think I was getting something fairly close to masterbeato's picture. Next I'll try some actual throws. Thanks for all the advice, I can honestly say I would -never- have come up with this grip on my own. Now...here's hoping it produces results :)
Life is like bull riding: you're never ready, it's just your turn.
freeus
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Cheetah - seriously

Postby JR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 pm

freeus wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I spent about an hour today working on just the grip (not throwing). I had to use my other hand and physically force the fingers into position at first and it hurt like #@!!8*; my whole forearm is still kinda throbbing. After a while I found that for some reason it is easier to put the fingers inside the rim first and then raise the disc to the "above the seam" position, rather than try and bring the fingers up to the disc. Also putting the thumb forward more helps some. By the end I think I was getting something fairly close to masterbeato's picture. Next I'll try some actual throws. Thanks for all the advice, I can honestly say I would -never- have come up with this grip on my own. Now...here's hoping it produces results :)

Hope it works for you! I don't think people with large hands have an idea of how hard it is for us with small hands to grip discs. I can get pinky to middle finger in the right position easily so that's what I do gripping a disc. Then I set the disc to the height I plan on using (I vary it at his point as I'm still learning) and set the thumb to correct position. Then with wide rimmed drivers it's a chore to stretch the index finger into place. I have injuries and after surgery my physiology ain't original. It has taken years to allow wide stretches and gripping power (moderately hard based on popping sound with good throws) and now I can throw Double D that is much wider rimmed than anything other than the wide part of Epic. Not easy and as powerful with wide wings vs medium to thin wings. Mobility and muscle power and adjusting of nerves all help in time to grip discs with more demanding positions. I can grip discs I had no chance of releasing cleanly earlier.

The nasty thing is that we had a warm day on Sunday and lighter clothing allowed faster arm movements unintentionally. Once more my mid range disc grips became susceptible to grip locks and unclean releases. _No_ thanks to the faster moving arm squashing finger tips against the rim and gluing fingers to the disc. I don't know how many times this has happened with increasing muscle power. Tweaking ahead for me.

I'm hoping that it's warm enough for hybrid power/fork grip not to slip early now. That'd allow me to dodge this bullet. The nasty thing is that I have only a bit of control to arm speed and the timing of when I accelerate hard. Unfortunately my hard acceleration is an on or off thing meaning I'm always always able to summon it but the rate of acceleration is nearly always full rate of acceleration and no matter how slowly my arm moves so far until the hard acceleration and how late the acceleration the mids stick to my fingers. Unless I lighten the finger squeezing. There's a minimal margin of error for me between early slips and grip locks. With my usual cold and wet weather grip.

Grip is crucial. Having everything else perfect and a bad grip leads to insanity. And unpredictable left and right missing easily +-20 degrees missing is easy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:53 pm

freeus:

practice getting a seam grip with your thumb forward first.

once you have that down, then work on moving it above the seam.

seems like your grip has some weird wrist twisting going on. it shouldn't be painful unless you are doing something wrong.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Dogma » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 am

freeus wrote:Anybody else experience this or do I just have short fingers?

Yes. Just like you described. I can either have all four fingers curled into the rim (barely), or the disc above the seam, but not both. Every time I think I've made progress, I realize that all I've done is rotate my wrist too far clockwise, and if I fix that then the disc is dropping down on the left side by about 20 degrees. Thumb forward helps, but only a little. Sitting at home and trying it I get cramps in my hand, or pain in my forearm back to my elbow as I try to force my hand to bend the way it should. It's pretty frustrating, since it seems like it should be about the easiest thing in the world to just put something in your hand and hold it. I haven't given up, but I'm definitely frustrated.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby tumpsi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:29 am

Dogma wrote:
freeus wrote:Anybody else experience this or do I just have short fingers?

Yes. Just like you described. I can either have all four fingers curled into the rim (barely), or the disc above the seam, but not both. Every time I think I've made progress, I realize that all I've done is rotate my wrist too far clockwise, and if I fix that then the disc is dropping down on the left side by about 20 degrees. Thumb forward helps, but only a little. Sitting at home and trying it I get cramps in my hand, or pain in my forearm back to my elbow as I try to force my hand to bend the way it should. It's pretty frustrating, since it seems like it should be about the easiest thing in the world to just put something in your hand and hold it. I haven't given up, but I'm definitely frustrated.

I too have VERY small hands for a man, and I don't have any problems with
this grip.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Technique