A PDGA Rule Question About A Second Shot

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A PDGA Rule Question About A Second Shot

Postby Midnightbiker » Mon May 05, 2008 1:06 pm

While at the tournament this weekend, I noticed several people mark their lie, and then run up to the marker and throw, just like a drive. I asked one guy if that was OK, and he said it was as long as you don't go past the marker. Is that really allowed? I always thought you had to stand and the marker and throw.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Rickg » Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 pm

You can even go past the marker as long as you've released the disc prior to passing the marker. Makes those 700+ footers a little easier :lol:

Rick
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 1:13 pm

nope, you can mark your lie then run up as far as you want. You just can't pass your marker. And you don't HAVE to mark your lie at all. Some times it helps to not mark it if your stuck in thick schule.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jager » Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 pm

geoloseth wrote:nope, you can mark your lie then run up as far as you want. You just can't pass your marker.

Ever jump putted?
Jager
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

You can run up as long as you release the disc within the allowed 11.75 inches, with at least 1 supporting point on the ground behind the marker within the alloted 11.75"
You release the disc and you are over your marker, it's a Foot Fault. If you release your disc off the side of your marker, Foot Fault. If you release the disc 12 inches behind the marker foot fault...you get the idea.

As long as you release the disc before you cross your mini and you are directly behind the mini/marker disc you are ok.

As for the Jump Putt comment, same rules apply, you must have a supporting point on the ground, and release the disc before that supporting point crosses the plain of the mini/marker disc. If you release the disc while in the air with no supporting points on the ground, foot fault, If you release the disc after you have passed the mini/marker disc it's a foot fault.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Jager wrote:
geoloseth wrote:nope, you can mark your lie then run up as far as you want. You just can't pass your marker.

Ever jump putted?

No, I never liked jump putting. I found it to be a bit awkward. Jump putting is legal as long as you release the disc before you leave the ground. One thing I've noticed when playing with ams is that very rarely does anyone do a legal jump putt. Most of the time the leave the ground before they release the disc. If I were in a tournament I would have to call it a foot fault and I don't like to do that unless it helps someone out.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Shaolintrained » Mon May 05, 2008 1:50 pm

If I'm not mistaken, some people are trying to support a "Stand and Deliver" rule that would illegalize a run-up before an upshot. If there's anyone out there that knows more about this consideration, please shed some more light. Personally, I think it's a bad idea.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 1:55 pm

Shaolintrained wrote:If I'm not mistaken, some people are trying to support a "Stand and Deliver" rule that would illegalize a run-up before an upshot. If there's anyone out there that knows more about this consideration, please shed some more light. Personally, I think it's a bad idea.

I haven't heard anything about this. It would be VERY bad for the sport to do something like that. I would be willing to bet that more injuries would result if this were to be put in place and all those great long holes and distance holes would be removed from courses.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 pm

From what I read on the PDGA discussion board the "stand and deliver" rule was just a rumor going around and wasn't being considered for placement as an actual rule.

I too think this would be a load of crap rule if it ever came into effect.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SkaBob » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm

geoloseth wrote:And you don't HAVE to mark your lie at all.

Curious where you heard THIS one...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 2:21 pm

SkaBob wrote:

If you look in the rule book about marking your lie it says that you "may" mark your lie with an approved marker. It doesn't say that you 'have to/must" mark your lie. In this case you disc is your marker and you can have your stance up to 11.75" behind your disc. It's just a little trick to help you get a better shot if your disc is in a bad spot. Sometimes its more beneficial to mark it so you have a little extra space between you and an object.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Shaolintrained » Mon May 05, 2008 2:23 pm

geoloseth wrote:From what I read on the PDGA discussion board the "stand and deliver" rule was just a rumor going around and wasn't being considered for placement as an actual rule.

I too think this would be a load of crap rule if it ever came into effect.

I'm glad to hear that it's just a rumor. It seems like the advantage would go to the physically larger golfer and take away from technique to a great extent.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 2:57 pm

geoloseth wrote:
SkaBob wrote:

If you look in the rule book about marking your lie it says that you "may" mark your lie with an approved marker. It doesn't say that you 'have to/must" mark your lie. In this case you disc is your marker and you can have your stance up to 11.75" behind your disc. It's just a little trick to help you get a better shot if your disc is in a bad spot. Sometimes its more beneficial to mark it so you have a little extra space between you and an object.

Technically that is marking your disc with a PDGA approved marker.

I utilize this rule a lot. Use it to your advantage. Remember rules aren't there to hurt you, they are there to help you :)

I always use the 1M rule when I'm close to an OB.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Re:

Postby Coldpunk » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Fritz wrote:
geoloseth wrote:If you look in the rule book about marking your lie it says that you "may" mark your lie with an approved marker. It doesn't say that you 'have to/must" mark your lie. In this case you disc is your marker and you can have your stance up to 11.75" behind your disc. It's just a little trick to help you get a better shot if your disc is in a bad spot. Sometimes its more beneficial to mark it so you have a little extra space between you and an object.

I utilize this rule a lot. Use it to your advantage. Remember rules aren't there to hurt you, they are there to help you :)

So technically I don't have to ever mark my lie? I've been warned about not marking my lie.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Re: Re:

Postby Fritz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Coldpunk wrote:
Fritz wrote:
geoloseth wrote:If you look in the rule book about marking your lie it says that you "may" mark your lie with an approved marker. It doesn't say that you 'have to/must" mark your lie. In this case you disc is your marker and you can have your stance up to 11.75" behind your disc. It's just a little trick to help you get a better shot if your disc is in a bad spot. Sometimes its more beneficial to mark it so you have a little extra space between you and an object.

So technically I don't have to ever mark my lie? I've been warned about not marking my lie.

You always have to mark your lie.
Using the disc you originally threw is marking your lie. Sometimes it's a benefit because it can give you the length of the disc + 11.75" which if you are behind a tree, is very helpful.

Just to clarify, here is the rule:

803.03 Marking the Lie

A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location.

B. A player is only required to mark the lie with a mini marker disc when repositioning the lie under the rules. This includes the following rules: out-of-bounds, disc above the playing surface, lost disc, unplayable lie, relocated for relief, interference, or repositioning the lie within 1 meter of the out-of-bounds line.

C. If the thrown disc comes to rest in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line, and passes through the center of the thrown disc. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole. See the following sections for other considerations in marking a thrown disc:
(1) Relocated for relief - 803.05 C (2)
(2) Interference - 803.07 A, B
(3) Above the playing surface - 803.08 A
(4) Out-of-Bounds - 803.09 B
(5) Lost Disc- 803.11 B

D. The Rule of Verticality: The out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane. Where a
player's lie is marked from a particular point within one meter of the out-of-bounds line
pursuant to the rules, the one-meter relief may be taken from the particular point upward or
downward along the vertical plane.

E. If the thrown disc breaks and comes to rest in more than one piece, the largest piece, as
agreed to by a majority of the group or an official, is deemed to be the thrown disc.

F. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be at rest once it is floating or is moving only
by the action of the water or the wind on the water.

G. A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a marking rule if observed by
two or more players of the group or an official. One penalty throw shall be assessed for each
subsequent violation of any marking rule during the round if observed by two or more players of
the group or an official.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Next

Return to Rules Discussion