Gripes about the PDGA

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Here's another one. Why raise the price of a temporary membership for tournaments from $5 to $10? It's like saying "sure the tounament only costs $35 but wait since you didn't give us $50 to join our club we're going to charge $45 to play" I've even saw a guy lose out on $1400 when he hit the ace pot because the TD didn't tell him that there was an extra fee for him to play. He told the TD he wanted to pay for the tourney and the ace pot but the TD didn't tell him about the extra fee for temp membership.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Star Shark » Mon May 05, 2008 6:13 pm

yep, PDGA, the Ticketmaster of Disc Golf.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby the invisible tree » Mon May 05, 2008 6:19 pm

It's a great business model that the PDGA have. Have your members volunteer to do almost all of the work for free. Then charge those same member/volunteers for the services that they have mostly provided for themselves. Then call anyone that complains about it ungrateful.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Jager » Mon May 05, 2008 6:21 pm

geoloseth wrote:Here's another one. Why raise the price of a temporary membership for tournaments from $5 to $10? It's like saying "sure the tounament only costs $35 but wait since you didn't give us $50 to join our club we're going to charge $45 to play" I've even saw a guy lose out on $1400 when he hit the ace pot because the TD didn't tell him that there was an extra fee for him to play. He told the TD he wanted to pay for the tourney and the ace pot but the TD didn't tell him about the extra fee for temp membership.

The non-member fee was fixed over the last 20 years while regular dues have been increased several times. Seems like a good move to me.
Jager
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Jager wrote:
geoloseth wrote:Here's another one. Why raise the price of a temporary membership for tournaments from $5 to $10? It's like saying "sure the tounament only costs $35 but wait since you didn't give us $50 to join our club we're going to charge $45 to play" I've even saw a guy lose out on $1400 when he hit the ace pot because the TD didn't tell him that there was an extra fee for him to play. He told the TD he wanted to pay for the tourney and the ace pot but the TD didn't tell him about the extra fee for temp membership.

The non-member fee was fixed over the last 20 years while regular dues have been increased several times. Seems like a good move to me.

So why don't they put the member fees back to the price of say 10 years ago and raise the temp membership fee. Then it would be practical and cheap enough for rec players to join the PDGA.

And sure the PDGA provides insurance and an organizations name for tournaments, but that'd about it. Invisible tree was right. Volunteers put on the tourneys for free and then they charge a per person fee for everyone on top of membership fees.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Mon May 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Jager wrote:
ZAMson wrote:
Solbo wrote:And just with LUNCH!

my understanding was, with legal substances, that as soon as your card was turned in for the round, you could slam away. 2 minute warning would be the logical start time for no-beer time.

correct.

+1
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: Gripes about the PDGA

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 pm

geoloseth wrote:Since Fritz said it's O.K. so BRING IT ON!!!

I'll start.

What's with requiring your SSN to register for a tournament. I don't even use it to get car insurance quotes what makes them think I'm going to hand it over to someone to write it down and keep it in their records. I don't know about other people, but ratings and points aren't so important that I would try to have a better player play under my name.

Wow, I've never had to give my SSN for any tournament I've played in...

Plus legally they can not force you to give that number.

However if they are paying you cash, at the time they issue you a check over the amount of 300$ they are required by law to enter that tax information on a w2 form, if you do not provide the SSN, you do not get your money.
It's just like a job, you do not get your pay check if you don't pay taxes on it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Look at it this way, they provide great insurance for the tournaments, they provide a website that takes up a ton of bandwidth, they provide score records, ratings, a yearly subscription to a magazine for 10$, They host wonderful World caliber tournaments....
True the staff is volunteer, but the computer they use cost money, the electricity they use cost money, the phone number they use cost money, the etc.... you get the idea.
If you don't like it, don't join, pay the 10$ temp fee play only B-tier tournaments and below and be merry.

EDIT: On top opf that, if you ask the PDGA for help in gathering info for presenting a case to get a course put in your town, I bet they'd be more the willing to assist you in doing so, to help the sport continue to grow.

geoloseth wrote:
Jager wrote:

So why don't they put the member fees back to the price of say 10 years ago and raise the temp membership fee. Then it would be practical and cheap enough for rec players to join the PDGA.

And sure the PDGA provides insurance and an organizations name for tournaments, but that'd about it. Invisible tree was right. Volunteers put on the tourneys for free and then they charge a per person fee for everyone on top of membership fees.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby rehder » Tue May 06, 2008 1:06 am

no point in ragging on the pdga for 2m rule. Complain to the TD, that chose to play with it.

AFAIK, no tournaments in europe employ the 2m rule.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Tue May 06, 2008 7:04 am

If a TD ever demanded I give him my SSN to register for a tourney, he'd ban me from all his future events for the stink I'd raise. I will NOT put the possibility of stealing my identity in the hands of a random citizen with no understanding of the protection of such data. My family's dealt with identity theft. That is NOT something to take as lightly as the PDGA seems to think it should be. Even if the TD has only the most noble of intentions, cars get broken into, notebooks get lost, all manner of extraneous circumstances can land every SSN from that tourney in some theif's hands.

The computers and phones the tourney staff use weren't purchased just for the tourney(s), I shouldn't be paying for them to get fancy electronics I can't afford myself.

If I remember how the tax forms work, if I win more than $300, I should be able to tell them I'm going to 1099 it, and not have to have them deal with my SSN. They report my name to the PDGA, they put it on their books, and I handle all the tax stuff myself.

It's not like the PDGA can really get picky about the laws pertaining to their money. They don't do anything to say that gambling (the ace pool) isn't permitted at tourneys in states with laws against it.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:25 am

Solbo wrote:
geoloseth wrote:
Midnightbiker wrote:I think the 2 meter rule stinks. It got me three times in the tournament on Saturday. :(

Even though the PDGA got rid of the rule they still say the tourney directors can enforce it. And most do. Give us a break.

Adds to the difficulty, dont throw it high into the trees.

so you think 2 meters off the ground is a high shot?
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Midnightbiker » Tue May 06, 2008 7:30 am

geoloseth wrote:
Midnightbiker wrote:I think the 2 meter rule stinks. It got me three times in the tournament on Saturday. :(

Even though the PDGA got rid of the rule they still say the tourney directors can enforce it. And most do. Give us a break.

It was inforced on Saturday. :evil:
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Fritz » Tue May 06, 2008 8:22 am

rehder wrote:no point in ragging on the pdga for 2m rule. Complain to the TD, that chose to play with it.

AFAIK, no tournaments in europe employ the 2m rule.

Every tournament I play in has the 2M rule in effect. All the tournaments I'm the TD for (Including this years Colorado State Championships), have the 2m rule in effect (minus the Ice Bowl, cause that's a for fun for charity event).

IMO it was dumb to get rid of the 2m rule. Trees are part of the hazard on the course and if your disc gets stuck, you need to be punished.

Just my opinion.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Fritz » Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 am

Nice, didnt' realize you could just do that. That's what I'd do as well. Good call there.
My own College lost my SSN on a notebook that got stolen, so I see where you come from.

SkaBob wrote:If a TD ever demanded I give him my SSN to register for a tourney, he'd ban me from all his future events for the stink I'd raise. I will NOT put the possibility of stealing my identity in the hands of a random citizen with no understanding of the protection of such data. My family's dealt with identity theft. That is NOT something to take as lightly as the PDGA seems to think it should be. Even if the TD has only the most noble of intentions, cars get broken into, notebooks get lost, all manner of extraneous circumstances can land every SSN from that tourney in some theif's hands.

The computers and phones the tourney staff use weren't purchased just for the tourney(s), I shouldn't be paying for them to get fancy electronics I can't afford myself.

If I remember how the tax forms work, if I win more than $300, I should be able to tell them I'm going to 1099 it, and not have to have them deal with my SSN. They report my name to the PDGA, they put it on their books, and I handle all the tax stuff myself.

It's not like the PDGA can really get picky about the laws pertaining to their money. They don't do anything to say that gambling (the ace pool) isn't permitted at tourneys in states with laws against it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Jerrod » Tue May 06, 2008 8:34 am

Fritz wrote:IMO it was dumb to get rid of the 2m rule. Trees are part of the hazard on the course and if your disc gets stuck, you need to be punished.

Just my opinion.

I agree since in DG we don't really have the equivalent of a bunker. What was the official reason for removing the rule?
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion