what am I doing wrong/right etc

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

what am I doing wrong/right etc

Postby mcoppel » Tue May 06, 2008 10:43 am

mcoppel
Noob

Postby mcoppel » Tue May 06, 2008 10:44 am

Disc 1 is a pro wraith
Disc 2 is an Avenger SS
Disc 3 is a Star Beast
mcoppel
Noob

Postby plshrk » Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am

Looks like you are actually releasing before you start your pivot. Those are some pretty advanced/big arm discs. What kind of distances are you averaging?
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby garublador » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 am

It looks to me like you aren't accelerating through the hit. Your hand should be moving faster after the hit than at the hit, not slower.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Shaolintrained » Tue May 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I agree with garublador
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Aaron_D » Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm

a few things I see

1. you arent getting your weight forward
2. you are starting the pull too early
3. you arent following through enough
4. the follow through that you do have isnt on the same plane as the pull

good things:

1. nice and smooth - it looks fairly effortless and the disc seems to be popping out nicely
2. looks like youre getting good elbow extension
3. your footwork is light and quick

things to try:

1. try taking a shorter plant step.
2. try to work on acceleration more by starting the pull more slowly and accelerating through the rip
3. lean over your plant leg more
4. keep your wrist down (it doesnt look down at the start of your pull...keep it down before the pull--through the pull--and after the pull.

all in all it looks like you have fairly sound technique and you should be able to biuld a powerful throw off what you already have. Just focus on what advice you get here and keep at it. If your experience is anything like mine this video of yourself will help tons!
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby mcoppel » Tue May 06, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm usualy getting 350 to just shy of 400, depending on if I am going for distance or more accuracy. All these throws were going at a 325 hole, 2 were parked one went off right a bit but dead on distance.
mcoppel
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Agreeing with the previous posters. Maybe you shouldn't punch the disc backwards to reach back so that you don't start the pull with the plyometric loading released from the reach back. From your back and side plus maybe a bit from the shoulder unloading during the pull. That free power can fool into adding to the acceleration straight after the unloading ends. It's a feel and unconscious thing for me at least. When you try to keep the rate of acceleration similar you hit top speed way too early. Try to be mellow and let the unloading of muscles and legs and hips do the work initially and stay relaxed with your arm until the arm and pivoting brings the rear of the disc to the right of your right pec and then pull quickly. Until that let the arm laze about and be on holiday on the beach tanning sipping a cool drink. You need to find a mental image that allows you to wait with the power usage of the arm until unnaturally late feeling powering for many instinctively. It's your instincts that you're fighting against and you need to convince yourself of the benefits of lazying about until the god part of the throw late in the arm pull.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm

#1 get your left hand off the disc. this is absolutely crucial to having good shoulder rotation.

it's kind of weird... your legs look like you're winding up to kill it... and then they just stop.

what aaron said was correct, except instead of shortening the plant step you can probably just push off more with your back leg.

also, you seem to be leaning behind your heels. try centering your weight more on your feet.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Video Critique