2m Rule? Yeah or Nay?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2m Rule Good? Bad?

Yes, 2m rule should always be in effect.
36%
No, 2m rule is unnecessary punishment.
64%

Total votes : 78

Postby wdb4th » Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am

I am for any rule that makes courses more challenging. Take the courses from the 70s and 80s. The distance discs can go know hos made them obsulete. By adding hazards, you make the course more challenging.

From a designing stand point, if the place you are designing for doesn't have the best piece of land, adding OB and hazards make it better.

Play White park in Bolwing Green. That course would suck without the OB. It even has sand traps.
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed May 07, 2008 12:48 pm

All right, I can concede that a course that has nothing going on to make it challenging could probably benefit from some artificial OBs. But adding those kinds of OBs should be an absolute last resort. Oftentimes, just moving a teepad a few feet in a direction can drastically change the play of the hole. I know we don't always get to have the ideal piece of land to work with when putting in a course, and you gotta do what you gotta do. I think it just strengthens the arguments for private courses all the more.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed May 07, 2008 1:25 pm

You know what pisses me off, when they take hard courses and make paths "OB Streams"
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 07, 2008 1:34 pm

Fritz wrote:You know what pisses me off, when they take hard courses and make paths "OB Streams"

So it isn't bad when they make sidewalks ob on easy courses?
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 pm

I've seen a lot of places where they used artificial O.B., but they used it on the holes that were already the hardest on the course. For some reason guys decide they want to make the hardest hole ever, so they mess around with an already good hole to get there. I hate that. If you can already take a 4 or 5 on a hole, it's a good hole (unless it's a 1,000 ft wide open shot, but that's another rant.) Artificial O.B. is best used to add a little challenge to the holes we called par 2's or par 2.5's. If a hole is scoring that low, it could use a little help.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Fritz wrote:You know what pisses me off, when they take hard courses and make paths "OB Streams"

pansy.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Fritz » Wed May 07, 2008 1:38 pm

geoloseth wrote:

So it isn't bad when they make sidewalks ob on easy courses?

I think that is fine with the caveat most "easy" courses are in very active parks.

I.E. Westlake where I play at lunch is a very active park with lots of foot traffic. So we make the Sidewalks OB, but I guess that's more of a safety thing.

Paco's Gulch, Downtown Denver is WICKED long, Has an OB Creek on almost every single hole, along with RR Tracks that are private property OB, and they put in sides OB is not kewl.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Will Aubrey » Wed May 07, 2008 3:05 pm

I don't like mandos because they take creativity out of the game. If someone can come up with an unorthodox way to play a hole more power to them.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Will Aubrey wrote:I don't like mandos because they take creativity out of the game. If someone can come up with an unorthodox way to play a hole more power to them.

I don't like mandos on the course just to force you a certain way for no apparent reason. But I do think they serve a purpose. there is one at my local course, and I'm glad its there, to keep people from throwing down a usually busy road.

If the mandos is there for safety then great, but if its there to make you throw a certain way just because then that hole shouldn't be there.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby krazybronco » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm

dumb luck should not be penilized
krazybronco
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: prefer 11x Teebird

Postby Midnightbiker » Thu May 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Speaking of trees, this is the hardest hole in my opinion at River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX , my home course.

Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Midnightbiker....Is there any mandos on that hole or is there a prefered route?
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby Midnightbiker » Fri May 09, 2008 6:33 am

No mandos. Some people like to throw something under stable to the left and bring it back right. I try to shoot straight down the middle. Sometimes I get lucky, and sometimes the trees fight back. The hole is only 288 ft and I once played with a guy that made a awesome shot that landed 10 ft from the basket. Most of the holes at Kingwood are very tricky and you have to play the course a few times to find the lines. You should see hole #3. It is almost worse. I will take a pic next time I am there. I plan to play there on Saturday. Sometimes I wonder why I play that course. I can stay home and cuss. :x
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Fritz » Fri May 09, 2008 7:15 am

Easy, QMS up the gut parked.
:)
That looks like a fun course. Hope I can come down to Texas and play some day.

Remember, you don't have to do a straight run up, you can approach that tee pad from the side :)

I'd do my run up from the left side of that pad, and have a nice straight shot.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Eric O » Fri May 09, 2008 9:33 am

Midnightbiker wrote:Speaking of trees, this is the hardest hole in my opinion at River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX , my home course.
um... That hole looks fairly routine. 288ft with definite routes to the basket. It's pretty though.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion