A Great Pond Diving Experience

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby deaddisc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:49 pm

My friend and I pulled over 150 out one day, and heard nothing but shit for it even after we gave 99% of the discs back. :roll:
Needless to say that was the last time we ever pulled that amount of discs out.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mark56 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:45 pm

dscglfgeo wrote:Of course you all tried to get these found discs back to there respective owners before making them your own right?

Well heres my perspective on that.

If you loose a disc in a tree on a course, search for it and just can't find it and leave it there, then later someone else finds it and your names on the back, they should probably call to give the disc back.

Now if your throwing over a pond, and the wind grabs your disc and sucks it into the pond, and you see exactly where it lands, and dont go and get it yourself, in that case it is perfectly legit to take that and use it as your own. If they can just give their disc to the pond, the pond can just give it to anyone :)
Mark56
Noob

Postby garublador » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:52 am

Mark56 wrote:
dscglfgeo wrote:Now if your throwing over a pond, and the wind grabs your disc and sucks it into the pond, and you see exactly where it lands, and dont go and get it yourself, in that case it is perfectly legit to take that and use it as your own. If they can just give their disc to the pond, the pond can just give it to anyone :)

How do you know that the person didn't search for it in the pond and just couldn't find it?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:15 am

All 150 of them searched and couldn't find their discs?

I'll take "Not Bloody Likely" for $500.00, Alex...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby garublador » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:53 am

Jwt4412 wrote:All 150 of them searched and couldn't find their discs?

I'll take "Not Bloody Likely" for $500.00, Alex...

It's just as likely as no one even looking for their discs. Just because eveyone didn't look that means those that did shouldn't get their discs back?

As long as jusifying theivery in that way makes you feel better.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Glock23 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 am

Let's not start this argument again. And for another thing, WOW - 150 discs?? I am lucky to pull out 5 or 6 at our ponds.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 am

No Name - No Theft.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am

MAKE IT STOP!! :shock: :P

Seriously though...this argument is never going to be resolved. It's the same thing as Innova vs. Discraft, the Wizard vs. the Aviar, hell...it's emacs vs. vi (and if you understand that last one...w00t! :wink: )

It's a simple fact. The people on either side of this issue just aren't going to see eye to eye and that's fine. But let's not have another 6 page argument to prove it...please?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 am

Sleepy,

I'll make it easy on you... and stop with this.

I have been convinced, nobody should have gone into that pond and collected those 150 discs and returned 99% of them to their rightfull owners... Those discs should have remained in the depths of the pond as tribute to the Disc Golf Water Goddess for all of enternity...

I feel better now knowing I will be able to sleep... sleep for the first time in months without the ugly and heavy weight of pond-guilt...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 am

at berkeley, there's tons of water shots. so many, a guy makes his humble living fishing them out and selling them back to people. even if you want your OWN disc back from him, you must buy it. i see this as totally fair since without him you would never get it back... plus you don't HAVE to buy it from him. he went in there and found it, cleaned it, and deserves to be compensated. i, for one, am glad he's there.
Last edited by presidio hills on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 am

at berekeley, there's tons of water shots. so many, a guy makes his humble living fishing them out and selling them back to people. even if you want your OWN disc back from him, you must buy it. i see this as totally fair since without him you would never get it back... plus you don't HAVE to buy it from him. he went in there and found it, cleaned it, and deserves to be compensated. i, for one, am glad he's there.

I would agree that I would enjoy the luxery of someone fishing it out for a FLAT fee. The same amount of work is required for him to fish out a DX Teebird as a 1st run CE Teebird, and both should cost the same to get back. I know that I write my name and number on the back of every disc I own. Out of the nearly 30 discs I have lost in my disc golfing lifetime, I have gotten a call back on about 5 of those. I reward the person that calls back, whether I let them keep it, or give them something else for returning a disc to me. It's only fair to reward a good samaritan.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

disc finding

Postby twmccoy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:06 pm

garublador wrote:
Mark56 wrote:
dscglfgeo wrote:Now if your throwing over a pond, and the wind grabs your disc and sucks it into the pond, and you see exactly where it lands, and dont go and get it yourself, in that case it is perfectly legit to take that and use it as your own. If they can just give their disc to the pond, the pond can just give it to anyone :)

How do you know that the person didn't search for it in the pond and just couldn't find it?

Most of the discs I find are in chest deep water. Heck, I find discs that have been submerged for years. There are people that search the same lakes as I do and just skim all the discs from the edges. I am the only one that seems to return discs to anyone as well. That said, I have more discs than most retailers do.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby BHW » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:53 pm

I lost two more discs today, and not even in water, just in woods. They were my two favorite drivers too! I searched for over an hur for the two combined. I'm sure somebody will stumble across them, and I'm sure I'll never see them again. Very few people around here return found discs. I know ONE person who has had a disc returned. The guy who found it was in playing from out of town, and actually called, got my friends address, and mailed him the disc....refusing any compensation for postage or the trouble. That guy's a rare bird, I hope karma is good to him.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby mdabbs » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Here in Florida, you pretty much have to leave them there. In the courses in Clearwater there are water mocassins and 8 foot gators.
mdabbs
Noob

Postby ApesOfWrath » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:14 am

what is the best method for finding discs in a pond?
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion