What makes a tournament round rated?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What makes a tournament round rated?

Postby Johnnytothec » Mon May 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I was looking at the unofficial results of a tournament I just played, and for the intermediate division, there are no round ratings, whereas the open and advanced division have round ratings.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... termediate

There were only 7 out of 20 in the division that had established PDGA ratings. It ms my understanding that you need 8 players with ratings to play a the same pads.baskets in a given round to have a round rating. Three more players signed up to be members and do not have ratings yet. Will these rounds stay unrated or will they get rated once these 3 players get their ratings on July 1 when ratings update, so now there are 10 instead of 7 rated players?

The only round that we played the same tees/baskets as the advanced/pros was their round 2 and the intemediate round 3.
Insert clever comment here.
Johnnytothec
Noob

Postby Fritz » Mon May 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Good question. something isn't right there.

Example: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... ngs=1#Open

Glenwood Open this past weekend has round ratings for everyone.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:44 pm

the propagators need to have a certain number of rounds in their rating to count a s a propagator...I think the number is 8, i'm not sure though.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:the propagators need to have a certain number of rounds in their rating to count a s a propagator...I think the number is 8, i'm not sure though.

correct.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Johnnytothec » Mon May 12, 2008 9:36 pm

So there are 7 of us with ratings now, and 3 who are listed as active PDGA members without ratings. On July 1st, player ratings are updated and they should get ratings. Will the retroactively rate these rounds to make the ratings official (they are unofficial now)?
Insert clever comment here.
Johnnytothec
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 12, 2008 9:38 pm

It's more than likely they will end up giving the round a rating. I had played a tournament the day that I got my PDGA number, but I didn't give it to the TD since I couldn't stay for the second day, however I still ended up getting a rating for it at a later date.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rehder » Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 am

ALL rounds will get rated, but as MDR said. If the minimum number of propagators arent there, you wont be able to see the 'unofficial' rating until the next player update
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby The Euphoric Nightmare » Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 am

Jonnytothec wrote:What makes a tournament round rated?

A random number generator at PDGA HQ? :wink: :P :lol:

Seriously though...

Looks as if you (Intermediates) didn't play the same layout/courses as the Open and Adv fields.
And there weren't enough Intermediates with propagator status to give ratings.
If either were true, the Int field would of gotten round ratings.

Hate it when TD's do that.
Have Ints play different layouts than other divisions.
Those who are most interested in how they rate are in those without a rating, those who haven't played many tournaments, and are most likely in the Intermediate fields.
The Euphoric Nightmare
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 pm

You only need 5 propagators - players with ratings over 799 based on at least 8 rounds - playing the same course layout to get round ratings. The online software used to produce Unofficial ratings isn't programmed to combine scores from more than one round on the same layout. However, if you only have 3 props in a division and play the same layout twice, there will be the equivalent of 6 props to produce Official ratings when we do them.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Rules Discussion