Starter discs for Ultimate players

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Starter discs for Ultimate players

Postby sharkthrower » Fri May 16, 2008 7:51 am

I've been asked to recommend some discs (driver, mid, putter) for someone who has a long background in Ultimate, but who now wants to take up DG. I've never played Ultimate, but I've read on here that they are used to throwing anhyzer. Is that true?

Typically, I'd suggest discs such as Teebird, Roc, Aviar (or their equivalents from other companies). Does that change in this situation?
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Fri May 16, 2008 8:00 am

I'm not sure the Teebird is a great beginner driver. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or D Cyclone over a Teebird.

I was an Ultimate player that moved to disc golf and the Cheetah was the easiest to throw, most reliable driver I started with.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby sharkthrower » Fri May 16, 2008 8:03 am

garublador wrote:I'm not sure the Teebird is a great beginner driver. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or D Cyclone over a Teebird.

I was an Ultimate player that moved to disc golf and the Cheetah was the easiest to throw, most reliable driver I started with.

No, not even in DX? Just curious, why not?
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri May 16, 2008 8:09 am

sharkthrower wrote:
garublador wrote:I'm not sure the Teebird is a great beginner driver. I'd recommend a DX Cheetah or D Cyclone over a Teebird.

takes pretty good form to throw a teebird well
especially dx
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby sharkthrower » Fri May 16, 2008 8:12 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
sharkthrower wrote:

takes pretty good form to throw a teebird well
especially dx

Ok, please help me correct my thinking then.

That reason was exactly why I'd suggest a teebird - it makes you focus on proper form right from the get-go. Now, I'm in no way the guru most of you are, so what is wrong with that line of thought?
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby sweeper » Fri May 16, 2008 8:16 am

Lids and moderately understable drivers. I made the transition. My best friend was a #2 upshot for the longest time. I'd also suggest discs with lots of glide, stingray, assassin, discs like that. Ultimate players use a lot of touch in their throws and like to "work" the disc.

Aaron
sweeper
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby adamschneider » Fri May 16, 2008 8:24 am

sharkthrower wrote:That reason was exactly why I'd suggest a teebird - it makes you focus on proper form right from the get-go. Now, I'm in no way the guru most of you are, so what is wrong with that line of thought?

Because your friend won't have much fun throwing 100-foot knife hyzers all day.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby garublador » Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 am

The Teebird isn't very forgiving. If it gets turned over it will just flip and crash, it's farily high speed stable so it's not all that easy to flip to flat and it's not very versatile so it's difficult to learn to throw different lines with it. It's a lot easier to learn by figuring out how to throw kind of well and then improve incrementally than it is to just be awesome from the get-go.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby mark12b » Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 am

well, the tb is good at revealing form flaws but it will be too frustrating for someone who can *never* make it fly right, which could lead to bad form. e.g. for the newbie who always throws nose-up, they *might* learn nose-down by throwing a teebird but otoh they might throw it annie instead. or switch to a destroyer after they plateau at 200'.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sharkthrower » Fri May 16, 2008 9:12 am

garublador wrote:The Teebird isn't very forgiving. If it gets turned over it will just flip and crash, it's farily high speed stable so it's not all that easy to flip to flat and it's not very versatile so it's difficult to learn to throw different lines with it. It's a lot easier to learn by figuring out how to throw kind of well and then improve incrementally than it is to just be awesome from the get-go.

Thank you, that was the reasoning I was looking for. So I'll nix the TB.

mark12b wrote:well, the tb is good at revealing form flaws but it will be too frustrating for someone who can *never* make it fly right, which could lead to bad form. e.g. for the newbie who always throws nose-up, they *might* learn nose-down by throwing a teebird but otoh they might throw it annie instead. or switch to a destroyer after they plateau at 200'.

Also thank you. I was looking at the TB in the way someone who has experience playing would, and what it could do to help that person. I neglected to look at it in the way that a newbie would.

So, on the other side - no misgivings about the roc or aviar, right?
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Fri May 16, 2008 9:17 am

sharkthrower wrote:So, on the other side - no misgivings about the roc or aviar, right?
Well, you know how we feel about Wizards around here ;) but no. Those discs should be fine.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby sharkthrower » Fri May 16, 2008 9:22 am

garublador wrote:
sharkthrower wrote:So, on the other side - no misgivings about the roc or aviar, right?
Well, you know how we feel about Wizards around here ;) but no. Those discs should be fine.

Yup, it's the reason I own a few. :lol:
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 am

You could try a Comet and a Rattler if they find the roc and aviar annoying to work with. Both fly a lot more similarly to normal frisbees and ultimate lids than a lot of other golf discs would.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 am

I'll second the Comet but I am biased.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Jaysus » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 am

try a polecat instead of the avair
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Next