Best/Worst Stamp

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best/Worst Stamp

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 am

Ok, so what is the best looking stamp you have seen? The worst? It can be current production or old, factory, fundraiser, whatever. If it is stamped on a disc, it counts. Thought this would be an interesting thread.

The Best: Gateway Spirit
The Worst: Innova Birdie
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby adidadg » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:37 am

The Drone is pretty cool looking.

The "Soft Putter" stamp on my soft wizard (see the GDS website) is not.
adidadg

Postby ParanoidPiranhasDave » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 am

I love a lot of the CE Roc stamps. The baby stamp or whatever, the new ones with the claw and the eye.

The old Graffiti CE Roc stamp looks like something a middleschooler doodled on the side of their notebook in Geology. I hate it.
Paranoid Piranhas!

Disc golf kicks minge.
ParanoidPiranhasDave
Noob

stamps

Postby twmccoy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am

I liked the CFR wraith stamp from last year.
I also like the avenger, crush and flash. All of innovas regular stamps are so boring. The DX valk stamp is cool too.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:45 am

I kinda like the "Soft Putter" stamp, a long time ago I dyed the word "putter" on a disc.

any innova champ disc has a boring stamp. for factory stamps I really like the font and foil they use for the avengers.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 am

I may be biased, but the custom stamp we used for the discs we got for out wedding is my favorite stamp. Otherwise I'm a big fan of the Gremlin stamp. Something about a monster that looks like he's bowling really appeals to me. The X-MRX is pretty cool, too.

I'll agree that Innova's normal Champion/Pro stamps are the worst. They're too boring for me. Discraft's Photon Glow and Photon UV stamps bug me too. The actual name of the disc isn't prominent enough for me.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby kvanorsdel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 am

I like stamps that are small. I usually throw Champ plastic so I remove the huge Innova Swoosh and the name/signature off a disc and just leave the Champion Teebird as the stamp or what ever the disc is. I like the small Z stamps on most of DC but only throw a Z buzzz which only says Buzzz on my disc.

This is why I asked about dyed discs on a different thread.

Less is more, plus I can pick out my disc pretty quickly by the remaining stamp. :)
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 pm

garublador wrote:I may be biased, but the custom stamp we used for the discs we got for out wedding is my favorite stamp. Otherwise I'm a big fan of the Gremlin stamp. Something about a monster that looks like he's bowling really appeals to me. The X-MRX is pretty cool, too.

I'll agree that Innova's normal Champion/Pro stamps are the worst. They're too boring for me. Discraft's Photon Glow and Photon UV stamps bug me too. The actual name of the disc isn't prominent enough for me.

Have you seen the CFR Star gremlin stamps? theyre pretty aswome....
they have a stamp of the AMC Gremlin (ugly late 70s car)

I say ugly, but I think I could make one pretty badass
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:25 pm

there is a guy by where I used to live who had a red one. He used it for pro stock racing. The back wheels were tubbed and it had a huge blown v-8. It was a beast. I have seen that stamp too, I actually liked it.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:06 pm

i think the STAR plastic stamps look stupid. something about the composition of the whole disc just looks dumb. the champion edition discs looked so classy, it's just been downhill from there.

i have an aviar P&A from 1991 that is black with a yellow stamp. the stamp looks like the pole's view of the disc coming at the basket, it's sweet.
the wizard is exactly the kind of stamp i want on my putter, too. gateway makes the coolest stamps, imo.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Best: DX Wraith

Worst: there are a few to choose from but i really hate the DX orc stamp.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jones » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:59 pm

I think a good stamp is like icing on the cake. It may not matter for the flight characteristics but I like throwing discs that actually look good. I like the Innova Dx and Pro Line stamps. I like the text on the Pro Line ones better than the newer ones, such as the Pro Valkyrie. They stretched out the text on some of the names and it looks weird. Yeah, the CE stamps do look pretty classy, and I wonder why they went to the Regular champion stamps, which are bland and not very appealing.

Gateway's newer stamps are awesome; I like the wizard and E sabre stamp the best. I also like the Latitude 64 Premiere stamp.

I absolutely hate Lightning's stamps. Mostly it is their disc names but they make me not even want to try the disc. I don't like Discraft's inconsistency in their stamps although some of them look pretty cool. The D stratus and D reaper stamps are completely ugly.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:54 pm

adidadg wrote:The Drone is pretty cool looking.

Yea the drones stamp is awsome. Like a buzz on steroids.

I also love my "supersoft wizard" it says that in a big awsome font and has the wizard guy above it. Too bad i dont putt with a supersoft.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby sleepy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm

My favorite stamp:

I also like Discraft's Z plastic discs. The plastic is so shiny and clear when new that a big stamp would just get in the way...I like their minimalist approach.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby bigs348 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:24 pm

I'm actually a big fan of Innova's Star plastic stamps, as well as Champ plastic and most Discraft Z plastic. I like my discs to have a really simple and clean look to them, and I like that those stamps are all uniform (except for the name of the disc, of course).

Most DX and D plastic discs are either cartoony looking (i.e, Beast, Orc, Buzzz, Wasp) or coloring book looking (Coyote, Gazelle, Cheetah).

I guess it comes down to the fact that, while I have fun, I take the sport seriously and I want both myself and my equipment to look professional. Tiger woods isn't using a driver with a big Tony the Tiger on the head, just like he's not wearing a tye-dye shirt. (I don't mind if anyone out there wants to wear tye-dye, etc.) I guess it comes down to what my little league baseball coach used to tell me: "You've got to look like a ball player if you want to play like a ball player."
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion