Trash Plastic Identification Assignment

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trash Plastic Identification Assignment

Postby black udder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:10 pm

We all have a bunch of old plastic that's lying around because "it's too beat" and "is just good for rollers" now.

Well, here's your chance to prove it.

Those with experience throwing beat plastic will probably not benefit as much as those with just a few years playing time.

What you'll need: 4-5 of your oldest drivers that you never throw because you just turn them over.
Any putter you like.

Where: any local course

Assignment: You are going to drive with these discs attempting to focus on extreme hyzer releases and thumb down rotation.

Even discs which appear severely beaten can still be useful. For some of us, we put these discs aside before we fully get control of our form. We just move up to the newest, more stable plastic and keep on truckin'.

By using a steeper hyzer release, you will keep the disc from flipping over too fast. It will also require you to stay *on plane*. If you do right (this is one of Blake's exercises as well) the disc should not flip over -- at least not flip into roll.

On your approach shots, you will not be throwing as hard as you normally would, so you will see exactly how much stability is still in the disc at slow speed.

Distance is not necessarily the most important factor here. Form is. You must release hyzer and on plane to achieve the desired results. You can also experiment with a rotation of your thumb down at the rip. This will add more hyzer motion to the disc enabling it to resist turning over.

Benefit: You may just find some fantastic distance drivers that have been lying around unused. You will probably find that some of the discs you thought were too beat were really not as beat as you thought.

As I said in the beginning. Those who have had solid form for several years have probably been through this drill on their own. For players with developing skills though, this can be helpful (and cost saving!).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 am

thank you! I've definatly got more than four or five of these type discs laying around. I'm definatly gonna have to pull out my thrashed disc and give them another chance! After reading the wrist roll topic in the technique section, I've been wanting to do this for a while. I'll post back with the results.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 am

good assignment.

i loves me some flippy plastic
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am

I drug out a beat 150g dx valkyrie that I could no longer keep from flipping and rolling. I threw it hard, with lots of hyzer, on plane in a cross wind and not only did it stay hyzer for awhile, but when it flipped up, it did not flip over. I got pretty good distance on it (overshot a 280ish hole).

Totally surprised me.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby stoneman » Sun May 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Not EVERY time, but failry consistently, I can through a SUPER beat Beast like that, an it will do a nice big S, and land fairly close to the pin on a 400+ hole. I've over shot the basket a couple times this month, and a couple times, I ganked the release somehow. I'm an understable fan I guess. The most stable thing in my bag is a Pro Starfire...and one of those is starting to flip on me. :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Terrence » Tue May 20, 2008 2:14 pm

That's a very good idea for an assignment. Without intentionally tooting my own horn, that's how I've been playing the last couple seasons. As my drivers and mids get further beat, I just adjust the hyzer angle according to achieve my intended flight. It's just crazy enough to work!
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby J-Man » Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 pm

I love it, but then I still have a 4 year old Crush in my bag, hey it still works and feels just like the other three Crushes in there. Four Crushes and two Preds are all the drivers I need.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Thu May 22, 2008 5:45 pm

i have an x stratus that i can literally release perpendicular to the ground and it will still flip...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Trash Plastic Identification Assignment

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:25 pm

black udder wrote:Assignment: You are going to drive with these discs attempting to focus on extreme hyzer releases and thumb down rotation.[...]
You can also experiment with a rotation of your thumb down at the rip. This will add more hyzer motion to the disc enabling it to resist turning over.

im kind of dumb and dont understand "thumb down rotation" - could you clarify?
even on hyzer flips, my thumb just points at the direction of release at end.
keeping it down feels awkward as hell, and makes me think what i'm trying is not what's being suggested
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:36 pm

At the time of release your palm should be facing down, not up. Sometimes this is also referred to as wrist roll under.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:31 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:At the time of release your palm should be facing down, not up. Sometimes this is also referred to as wrist roll under.

yah. that's no problem for me when hyzerflippin.
thanks for the clari
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments