Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby J-Man » Mon May 19, 2008 10:09 am

OK, up front I'm an old fart that has been doing this for some time, and I figured I had little to learn, however; I have started getting my thumb more forward and really cocking the disc into my hand before the shot, and low and behold - more distance, more snap, and most importantly less torque on this aging arm and back. An old dog learns a new trick, cool :wink: 8)
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 pm

J-Man wrote:OK, up front I'm an old fart that has been doing this for some time, and I figured I had little to learn, however; I have started getting my thumb more forward and really cocking the disc into my hand before the shot, and low and behold - more distance, more snap, and most importantly less torque on this aging arm and back. An old dog learns a new trick, cool :wink: 8)

Any technique mod that will keep you throwing many more years in good health is a very good one! Cheers.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Grip Technique

Postby KRooster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Curious if anyone is still using this above-the seam-grip, or if it was a passing fad. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Interesting that this is basically the grip I was using when I transitioned from Ultimate to Disc Golf around 7 years ago. My distance was probably 30ft better with mids and putters than it's ever been since then, but I had serious OAT issues and in the quest to remove the OAT I switched to the standard in-the-seam grip. Though the OAT was very possibly a form issue, rather than a grip issue.

Now that I've returned to disc golf after a 3 years hiatus, and am having serious OAT issues again, I'm playing around with lots of different things. Will give this grip a try again just for kicks.

EDIT: Oops, just grabbed an ultimate disc and realized my grip used to actually be below the seam, not above the seam. Probably good I stopped doing that, heh. But anyway, still wondering if people are still using this above-the-seam grip.
Pure/Jokeri Stratus/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/Teebird Sidewinder/Roadrunner/OrionLS/Wraith
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Grip Technique

Postby JR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Depending on the shot i do.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique