Bradley's wrist extension

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 am

bcsst26 wrote:That helps out. I can see it now. The only problem is that I am sitting here at work in front of my computer looking like an idiot spraying my arm all over the place without a disc in my hand. Guess I will have to wait till I can get out in the field to ask any more questions. Hmmm which leads to a question. I wander what people would think if I got a fling for here at work?

I don't think anyone would mind as long as your extra careful with it. When I first used it in he field I was just standing there listening to Brad and flinging it with my wrist when all of a sudden it took off. I had forgotten to keep my index finger and thumb tightly locked on each other and the disc slipped out. It probably ended up 50-60' away. Not something you want to happen in an offisc setting.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mcoppel » Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 am

Where do you get a fling at?
mcoppel
Noob

Postby Beetard » Wed May 07, 2008 10:21 am

He didn't get it, he made it. I don't remember if he said so in the vid or on this thread, but he just cut out a section and drew an arrow on the disc.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 am

Beetard wrote:He didn't get it, he made it. I don't remember if he said so in the vid or on this thread, but he just cut out a section and drew an arrow on the disc.

I should apply for a patent.

That would be my second patent!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
Beetard wrote:He didn't get it, he made it. I don't remember if he said so in the vid or on this thread, but he just cut out a section and drew an arrow on the disc.

I should apply for a patent.

That would be my second patent!!

Show off.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 am

I tied a couple of faster putting motions at home throwing into a blanket trying to extend my fingers forward and couldn't keep up with the elbow extension. Not by a long shot. Sometimes I did manage a bit of finger extension with the disc pinched between the index finger and the thumb. I had better luck not curling the fingers to the rim of the disc but leaving them to the lowest part of the disc.

So I'm not sure if extending fingers fully pinching the disc is possible for me or anyone but a card shark. So I'm not sure if Bradley meant finger extension when he said his fingers were like rubber bands with the long Roc throws.

Could you describe it in more detail Bradley? Thanks.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 08, 2008 11:51 am

fingers like rubber bands = the slingshot of tendon bounce.

as for putting motions, you can only spring the fingers if it's perfectly timed with the stopping motion of the rest of the arm. this is why i stop my motion early on putts, to ensure clean spring.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JR » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Blake_T wrote:fingers like rubber bands = the slingshot of tendon bounce.

as for putting motions, you can only spring the fingers if it's perfectly timed with the stopping motion of the rest of the arm. this is why i stop my motion early on putts, to ensure clean spring.

Glad to hear that at least one part of my putting stroke ain't a horrible mess then :-) I think I've always tried to extend the elbow straight and after learning about the finger spring it was a natural extension the arm straightening for me. It really is a seamless natural follow up to the arm motion for me. I don't have to think of it. I do need to concentrate on stopping the wrist though.

On drives the rubber band thing happens for me from the wrist curled back position to wrist stopping but not a lot after that so far and what happens isn't conscious but a natural result of momentum. Just like finger spring on a putt. Momentum is the key. Drives are way too fast for me to try to extend the fingers under own power consciously to straight pinching the disc between the thumb and the index finger. I had some success with approach power and a little finger extension motion to maybe one fifth straight but don't think they work fast enough for faster throws or extending to straight on approach power. Intriguing possibility for younger faster fingered people than me. My work history and age probably prevents me from having supafast finger spring ever needed for longer throws.

I don't mind really because what I got seemed very promising indeed. I only hope I can incorporate even a part of what I gained into drives. Using Brad's terms the arrow in the Fling hasn't moved enough in degrees for me from the pivot between pinched thumb and index finger ever before. Compared to how much more I got on approach power today not curling my fingers to the rim of the disc.

The next time I'm able to hit a practice field I absolutely must try different grip variations. I fear that for me being injured pinching hard enough with thumb and index is impossible for best possible spin addition to the disc from the pivot between said fingers. Early slippage threat with index not curled to the rim might be counterable with the help of adding more fingers and varying their pressure in direction and power. Stokely and dgdave don't seem to suffer too badly from not curling the fingers after all although for the rest of us that may be detrimental.

I haven't been able find a perfect curled finger grip vs under the disc grip for as good a disc pivot between the thumb and the index. Especially combined with extending the fingers even a bit. It feels like with curled fingers the disc isn't gaining pivot=added spin although the feeling may be false. I don't feel the disc move back to front. The rip is instantaneous if the feeling is to be believed not allowing for the disc to move forward and pivot. It seems that I'm loosing as much or more spin than with a wrist that is locked throughout the whole throw. I've tried to vary grip power to no avail. Early slippages to grip locks and no pivot anywhere that I can feel. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed May 21, 2008 10:04 pm

I have noticed that I have had to develop some muscle in my hand to achieve a better pivot.

My first three fingers have been doing most of my grip work (the little fingers are attached to some big tendons in the bottom of the forearm). Now I realize that the "pinch" of the thumb and index finger have to be developed to increase the pivot force. I realize I have never really developed these muscles. As this strength increases (as well as tweaking my grip to facilitate this) the ability to increase the acceleration of the little arc increases.

The first thing I noticed was that the wider the rim, the worse the ability to pivot the disc (due to grip strength and ergonomics).
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Thu May 22, 2008 3:12 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I have noticed that I have had to develop some muscle in my hand to achieve a better pivot.

My first three fingers have been doing most of my grip work (the little fingers are attached to some big tendons in the bottom of the forearm). Now I realize that the "pinch" of the thumb and index finger have to be developed to increase the pivot force. I realize I have never really developed these muscles. As this strength increases (as well as tweaking my grip to facilitate this) the ability to increase the acceleration of the little arc increases.

The first thing I noticed was that the wider the rim, the worse the ability to pivot the disc (due to grip strength and ergonomics).

I'm really interested in developing index vs thumb pinch power too to see if I can stop curling my fingers to the rim altogether and if that'll help with gripping any width wings equally well. Actually Double D may be easier to grip Stokely way thanks to a larger contact area. Than with power grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 am

I saw a high speed video of me not trying to pinch as hard as possible between the index finger and the thumb. The disc left my fingers when I was holding onto the disc at 4 o'clock on the disc. Initially my grip's at 2 o'clock. I wonder how many percent of optimal spin rate I lost this way and how much it reduced my D? How does spin rate relate to distance at different speeds? I've seen the results of Theo Pozzy from 2000 but that's with old technology discs.

My injuries are getting better slowly and Brinster grip didn't feel bad or hurt with a Gazelle. Anyone care to hazard a guess if that grip would add spin rate or decrease it and by how much? There's more possible disc motion distance during the disc pivot if one can hold on to the disc. But will it increase the spin rate?

I'm a speed dominant thrower but can't reliably say how fast I'm able to throw. With that caveat said I've measured several 75+ MPH throws from videos taken with my own camera and one obviously too fast result that's way more than those. Which indicates that my camera isn't reliable or I'd be a speed throwing world record holder. Not! Unluckily I don't have full speed run up footage of myself at high frame rates. My camera goes up to 60 FPS and teh better camera does 250 FPS. My form sucks anyway so I won't post videos until I iron out the kinks.

My index finger painfully twists the wrong way in the outermost joint often and I lack finger strength to keep the finger straight and allowing the disc to pivot to where the fingers are at 6 o'clock. Holding on to 10 kilo weights with just fingers caused irritation after a workout early this morning. Lots of work and healing to do. Maybe finger tip push ups and purchasing a powerball would help?

Experiences and tips on strengthening fingers? Thanks.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Bradley's wrist extension

Postby bsnone1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Does the video with this thread still exist somewhere? When I click the link youtube has it listed as private? Thanks
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Previous

Return to Video Critique