Distance shot

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance shot

Postby WraithMe » Wed May 21, 2008 7:47 pm

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk31 ... 081554.flv

So here is what my typical distance drive looks like. I take a Wraith and give it some anny for a long gradual turn. Not really the most accurate way to throw but on holes like this (the basket is on flat ground at the top of this hill) all out distance is more important to me.

It looks to me like I need to get my hips and legs involved earlier. I could be wrong but it appears I use more leg power right after the hit than I do before it. It's cool to see myself throw, I never really knew but I have a sort of hybrid straight reach, into the bent elbow right before I start my pull. I also pull through very high on these anhyzer shots.

Anyway any suggestions are appreciated. I'm always working on my game.

By the way, Sorry for the watermark on the video, I took it with a cell and it's frustrating trying to find a decent free converter.
WraithMe
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Classic Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 pm

I know I sound like a broken record here...

You have the disc pivot I have been pushing so much lately. Everyone needs to watch this video and see the disc shoot out to the left of the hand at the launch. There is definite pivot snap there.

To throw distance, you just need more focus on the disc pivot to make it even more powerful and FLING the nose of the disc even more nose down. This is step one to learning the "distance shot" IMHO.

If you do this, you can use a more ascending arm swing that starts much lower and DRIVES upward. This will allow you to drive off your back leg more.

If you throw up without a disc pivot this disc will just go up and die...

Throwing up nose down is a distance shot by definition.

If we could marry your pivoted anny with Aaron's arm speed we could throw some serious D.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I know I sound like a broken record here...

You have the disc pivot I have been pushing so much lately. Everyone needs to watch this video and see the disc shoot out to the left of the hand at the launch. There is definite pivot snap there.

To throw distance, you just need more focus on the disc pivot to make it even more powerful and FLING the nose of the disc even more nose down. This is step one to learning the "distance shot" IMHO.

If you do this, you can use a more ascending arm swing that starts much lower and DRIVES upward. This will allow you to drive off your back leg more.

If you throw up without a disc pivot this disc will just go up and die...

Throwing up nose down is a distance shot by definition.

If we could marry your pivoted anny with Aaron's arm speed we could throw some serious D.

There's nothing humble about IMO. I really do think Bradley has nailed it on the head big time about the fling/disc pivot/wrist extension/ wrist arcing.

I think a little bit of more power could be generated if you allowed your body to move more weight forward like with a normal line drive. And like Bradley said create the height of the throw start back and down ending up front and higher with the arm swing.

If your waist flexibility allows I'd like to see more degrees in your waist twist. And definitely more speed in it. Your shoulders are the next point of interest. It's not as deficient of power as your waist so the gains are probably smaller but faster shoulder turn can help a bit too.

Nice anny technique on the other parts since you know you should push harder and earlier with the left leg. I suggest to compare how staying more forward on the ball of the right foot all through the plant step leg pivot works for you. In comparison to your ball of the foot landing to heel pivot to ball of the foot follow through pivot. You remind me of Steve Rico in some ways here although he throws straight with more slanted right leg. Didn't watch intently but I got a vague feeling that you may have started your arm pull heavy acceleration a little early. Can't pin point the beginning from just memory and it's just a hunch that may be wrong.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby WraithMe » Thu May 22, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, you are both right on as always. I have experimented with using more concious powering of the wrist extension as described in Bradley's posts but I haven't quite figured it out yet. But as geoloseth has said its not as easy at it sounds so I'm going to stick with it.

I've also tried running up from the center of the tee-pad recently on these types of shots and it seems to improve my throw so that tells me I should be getting a bit more weight forward and not so much to the right as JR has pointed out.

Also, thank you so much JR for pointing out that my hips are not twisting much (hardly at all really in this video). That is not a flexibility problem. It's just one of those things I tend to forget to do. I know that when I really coiled up my body in the past I saw some distance improvements, so I'm sure that doing this will help in a big way. I think the reason I'm getting no hip power into this throw is simply because I'm not coiled at all.
WraithMe
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Classic Roc

Postby JR » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

You're welcome.

That hip twistlessness (ain't it nice to invent new words in a foreign language hehehe ?) is too familiar to me. I can feel it these days mid throw. That's because like Bradley my back is messed up too :-(

Actually the way Steve Rico pivots on the right leg in the plant step does utilize his body weight. Even though he's tilted to the right. It's not totally efficient but still good. The trouble with his pivot is that he stresses his right ankle and maýbe the knee and hip too unnecessarily much. Steve is tripping forward and pivoting simultaneously. This forward and to the side tripping harnesses gravity in his pivot as a power generating component. I'm not sure that the tilt allows as much speed and power to be generated at the hip and legs though so he may lose more elsewhere. It'd take a scientific experiment to say for sure what's going on in the end. I'd imagine that the upside to Rico's pivot is that it's gaining a lot of speed by his de facto tripping over and falling down leg pivot late in the throw. It helps with the late acceleration part and plyometrically loading the arm muscles and tendons for a great wrist part of the snap.

i get the theoretical advantage and have seen the advantages of slow throws with powered wrist extension. And occasionally powered wrist extension in drives too. That is much more difficult. I have too little experience to even guess which way of wrist extension gives better results. Powered opening or natural momentum created opening. That's more the area of long bombers guaranteed to utilize their wrist better than I have so far. Like almost everything in DG YMMV. Some may have better results in one way and vice versa.

WraithMe wrote:Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, you are both right on as always. I have experimented with using more concious powering of the wrist extension as described in Bradley's posts but I haven't quite figured it out yet. But as geoloseth has said its not as easy at it sounds so I'm going to stick with it.

I've also tried running up from the center of the tee-pad recently on these types of shots and it seems to improve my throw so that tells me I should be getting a bit more weight forward and not so much to the right as JR has pointed out.

Also, thank you so much JR for pointing out that my hips are not twisting much (hardly at all really in this video). That is not a flexibility problem. It's just one of those things I tend to forget to do. I know that when I really coiled up my body in the past I saw some distance improvements, so I'm sure that doing this will help in a big way. I think the reason I'm getting no hip power into this throw is simply because I'm not coiled at all.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ricker112 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:50 pm

That vidoe is great for a cell phone. Some ultra sexy guy with tattoos on his leg must have taken it. Haha what up matt!
I got a Pan, I got a plan, Ima fry dis chicken in my hand!
Ricker112
Noob

Return to Video Critique