I got five on it

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I got five on it

Postby jamsisjams » Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 am

171g Champ Teebird (new)
175g Polaris LS (new)
178g Z Wasp (broken in but still fades)
165g Wizard/Chief? (dominess is almost beaten out)
163g Whitler (disc holder/touch shots)

I haven't been playing competitively for a minute but when I've gone out to the course I've been taking this set up. I've uncovered a nice surprise in that I can predictably throw my LS with a forehand. I'm not sure how long this will continue, though. It's a fairly new disc and yet it has this sweet turnover that's nice and gentle if I back off, but I can really crank into it and work that turn even more without having to throw it with an incredibly different angle. I figure that once I hit some more trees that I'll have to retire it but until it's broke, I'm not fixing it.

Anyway, what would y'uns recommend for a stable slower fairway driver? Cyclone for its versatility?

I think that ultimately I'll buy a stack of Eagle-Xs in various weights and plastics but I won't be doing that for quite a while. In the meantime, I'm curious as to what would fly similar, as well as beat in similarly, to an Eagle-X but is just slightly slower. I like Eagle-Xs for my forehand but think that they might be a bit much for my current backhand.

Thoughts, questions, comments, etc?
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Re: I got five on it

Postby garublador » Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 am

jamsisjams wrote:Anyway, what would y'uns recommend for a stable slower fairway driver? Cyclone for its versatility?
The D Cyclone and DX Gazelle are both similar to the Eagle but slightly slower.

The DX Cheetah would be another step down in stability but is still versatile.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby WraithMe » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 am

You say you want a disc that will beat in similarly to an eagle-x so I assume you want a premium plastic disc. If that's the case you might try a cyclone. My buddy has one and it's a pretty slow disc but it seems stable. My choice would have been a KC pro gazelle, as they were really great discs, but they have been discontinued :( You could always try the dx gazelle instead and just buy a few so you can keep one in good condition. Though the only one I ever threw was no where near as stable as a star eagle-x, but that could have been a fluke.

Looks like garublador beat me to it :)
WraithMe
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Classic Roc

Postby jamsisjams » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am debating between the Cyclone and the Gazelle. It seems that the Cyclone is generally regarded as more versatile? This is key for me because while my Polaris LS is fantastic in its new state, I can't help but fear the worst when thinking about the flippin' future. I would actually prefer the disc to be a lil overstable (like an Eagle-X) in the beginning but then hit that sweet spot relatively quickly.

I guess now is the time to search for Cyclone and Gazelle comparisons. Anyone care to do the work for me? :P
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 pm

jamsisjams wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. I am debating between the Cyclone and the Gazelle. It seems that the Cyclone is generally regarded as more versatile? This is key for me because while my Polaris LS is fantastic in its new state, I can't help but fear the worst when thinking about the flippin' future. I would actually prefer the disc to be a lil overstable (like an Eagle-X) in the beginning but then hit that sweet spot relatively quickly.

I guess now is the time to search for Cyclone and Gazelle comparisons. Anyone care to do the work for me? :P
The D Cyclone has slightly more turn and slightly more fade than the DX Gazelle, but the difference is pretty small. You'll be fine either way.
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion