Short Arm putt clarification

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Short Arm putt clarification

Postby jon_boi » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Hey Blake,

Putting is a nightmare for me. I've been working a short arm technique for about a year, but I still seem to suck(i think I'm really close, but just not quite getting it right). So I decided to reread your article to look for what I am doing wrong.

One point I could use clarification on would be how far your throwing elbow is supposed to be from your rib cage. I think I have been pushing my elbow out 6-8 inches from my body. In rereading your article, I'm thinking maybe my elbow should be little tighter to my body, like maybe an inch away, as keeping my elbow away from my body would seem to be another dimension to battle with and possibly rob power. How far do you keep your elbow from your body?

My next point is on wrist angle. When you say 2:30 to 3:30, is your thumb the hour hand or is it your index finger line relative to the center of the disc? Or are you referring to your actual wrist joing relative to the center of the disc?

Finally, what's the word on posture. Keep your back strait, or hunch and straiten as you follow through?

Thanks for any clarification. I am really desperate to learn to putt.

Also, thanks so much for having this website. It's really awesome!!

Thanks,
Jon
jon_boi
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:22 pm

Jon,

i will answer these in the order of easiest to answer to most difficult.

as for posture, on shorter putts i am hunched, and on longer putts i start upright and finish hunched (part of the weight shift).

as for the clock comparison...
the hand placement itself. basically, the meat of the hand. if 12-o'clock is center of the disc vs. the pole, 3 o'clock is grabbing the disc on the right side. as long as you aren't going above 2 o'clock or so this shouldn't make much of a difference.

as for the elbow... i don't think about it much. what i can say is that the motion has to be more forwards than upwards. a good drill is to find a tree limb or have a friend hold their arm out in front of you about 12" off your chest and at the bottom of your pectorals in terms of height (this can also be done holding a stick, umbrella, etc). this will force you to extend more outwards and often helps to troubleshoot the putt when it breaks down a bit. this is also a drill i use when teaching someone.

lastly...
things to remember... you should try to finish the putt quick, but you can start slow. it's more about accelerating it and finishing it and letting the putt snap out. also, i didn't talk about it in the article, but you can push with your palm a bit if that helps you get the disc out more cleanly.

hope this could help
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

re:re:Short Arm putt clarification

Postby jon_boi » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:56 am

Blake,

Thanks, I think you helped me identify a couple potential issues.

Now to clarify on the clarification. With the skill test you have. I think I see, basically the stick is intended to ensure your flick is released at the bottom of your chest yes? At first i though the stick was pointing towards me 12" away, but now i think it's parallel to my chest meant to stop my arm from pitching up, and encourage me to push out towards the target....

Clarifiacation would be great but I think that must be it.

Either way, thanks so much for the tip. If this works out I'm living the dream. If not, I may contact you about hired help... PM me if you do you do that?

Thanks,
Jon
jon_boi
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:52 am

the stick is more to prevent a "barney putt"... that is, keeps you from flailing your forearm upwards with your elbow glued to your side. that flailing motion saps your power by transferring it all upwards and none outwards.

you are correct about the stick being parallel to your chest.

not sure what kind of private help you are looking for... i have done it before.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:08 pm

This is the putting style I use on Blake's advice, and my putting has improved drastically.

I notice in the video that I must of taken from your site, that the guy kinda starts the putt low and finishes higher. I have tried to copy that form. It's like he lowers the disc and raises it, releasing at the same time.

Interestingly, I use a wizard, but it wasn't Blake that recommended them to me for the wind. I read in another thread that you also use a wizard.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique