Bradley "Brisket" Walker Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bradley "Brisket" Walker Drives

Postby geoloseth » Mon May 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Here is one clip from our round at the lake today. I'm sure there are other clips that are just as good but this is the only one that I remember Brad saying I should post. This is from hole 17. The shot ended up hitting the last tree on the right about 20' up. If there were no tree there it would have been about a 420'+ shot judging by the line it was on. Enjoy!

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... MG3570.flv
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 am

Good acceleration of the arm to the right of the target imparting great spin probably. Wonder what would've happened with the disc closer to the chest? I'd like to know Bradley's appraisal of the exact direction his arm is directed consciously in the late acceleration and how hard the acceleration was power wise.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 am

Friggin tree...

I have tried and tried to work that line. There is out of bounds left, so you have to have the finish end up right. Just about the time I get the Wraith to turn nose down and start to cook, it hits that dang tree.

I have missed it every way possible, OB left, in the tree and OB past the basket.

For my last drive, I just threw a TB dead straight 400' up the hill. Then I was like, oh, OK, just throw that"... I lie though, it is fun to air out drives and try to hit the line.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Tue May 27, 2008 7:40 pm

That's also a great example of hip rotation vs rotating on the plant foot.

Good pull, Brad. You're my hero!
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 pm

black udder wrote:That's also a great example of hip rotation vs rotating on the plant foot.

Good pull, Brad. You're my hero!

Still sparing the right knee by pivoting on it after the hips don't move. If Seth can match Bradley in the range of hip rotation he'll be a bit further.

Källström takes the hip twist or pivot as you say even further than Bradley. He barely or doesn't at all pivot on his plant leg.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Aaron_D » Wed May 28, 2008 1:47 pm

nice hat!

Everything looks good to me. It looks like you might not be following through all the way but that could be the back injury preventing full rotation. That disc was moving!
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Aaron_D wrote:Everything looks good to me. It looks like you might not be following through all the way but that could be the back injury preventing full rotation. That disc was moving!

Ding!!! Ding!!! Ding!!!

That was hard enough...

-I went from total pain unable to throw
-Got my shots in my discs #2 and #4
-Shots into my sacrum/illlicac joint.
-Had to wait until that healed, (my back brisket fat felt like a pin cushion)
-My back stopped hurting and just went back to full power like last Monday.
-This video was taken on Memorial Day. I played Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. At least 18 holes a day. This was hole 17 on Monday. My back was pretty tired by this point (not hurting just really tired).

I told Seth "Oh, NOW you get the video camera"

All in all I was pleased with what I saw. I did not get a lot into my plant foot but the acceleration and disc pivot was good. It sucks I hit the tree, that disc WAS moving (for me).

I watched the video, I thought the follow through was exactly what I have been working on, and my arm was all thew way around pointing 180 degrees from the basket at the finish. I was also ready to nicely step through at this point (this is waht Blake wanted me to do). Not super sick, off the charts arm speed like Aaron, and MDR 3000, but I thought the acceleration INTO the hit was pretty darn good. The disc was accelerating.

Good for me... I see progress.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Aaron_D wrote:nice hat!

Want me to send you one, hippy? :lol:
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Beetard » Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 pm

That disc was cookin' What was it? You could make a vid with multiple drives. We really wouldn't mind.

Could you make one where the camere is on the sideline to capture the nose angle as it flies past? I really want to see if these "nose down" drives you guys keep talking about are actually front lower than the back. I don't think I've ever seen anyone, even guys who throw 450 throw more than nose level.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 28, 2008 10:32 pm

I think the Sony gigapocket software I have will allow me to edit and combine footage. I'm not sure how to actually get some in flight footage since most throws are booking. I guess I could have brad throw one a few inches from my face as I stand in front, BUT I'm veeeery hesitant to do that.

Brad- let's do some field work tomorrow. Thinking about this hip rotation and slow slow slow FAST throwing is eating away at me. I predict if I can get it down in a groove I can break 500' in the field.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 am

OK.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 am

Beetard wrote:That disc was cookin' What was it? You could make a vid with multiple drives. We really wouldn't mind.

Could you make one where the camere is on the sideline to capture the nose angle as it flies past? I really want to see if these "nose down" drives you guys keep talking about are actually front lower than the back. I don't think I've ever seen anyone, even guys who throw 450 throw more than nose level.
Keep in mind that it's nose down with respect to the disc's trajectory, so if the disc is rising with respect to the ground and the nose is level with respect to the ground, the nose will be down.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 pm

garublador wrote:
Beetard wrote:That disc was cookin' What was it? You could make a vid with multiple drives. We really wouldn't mind.

Keep in mind that it's nose down with respect to the disc's trajectory, so if the disc is rising with respect to the ground and the nose is level with respect to the ground, the nose will be down.

Yeah but some of us are greedy for D and throwing high with the front down after the apex does give added distance as long as the disc stays level or close to it most of the flight. Diving forwards thanks to nose down gives a nice balance of speed and glide. You can see this effect easily by throwing down a slope with the front of the disc below horizon. When the disc doesn't crash down in a non level sideways angle it has the greatest amount of lift/speed combo giving the maximum amount of air time vs average speed=distance. For the flights that don't rely on wind pushing the disc farther. Which is more related to golf than distance competitions.

Not everyone can throw speed 12 discs without fade in the end of the flight. Let's assume a player like me that can throw a speed 6 disc max weight Champ Leopard virtually without fade fairly high on a line drive but without front down after the apex. Don't know if I could achieve virtually fadeless high line drives without front down with faster low fade discs because I flip over a beat champ RR max weight. And haven't put in the effort to master that disc. I'm at sea level and haven't thrown that disc as high as I can. Haven't touched a Sidewinder in almost two years. There are other low fade fast discs out there but I haven't tried any other than a broken in Champ Beast at max weight. No real practice and threw too low and flipped it over.

If a player like me could get front down sideways level post apex dive I think that one could use at least two notches faster discs that have equally low fade for fadeless flights that are significantly faster on average with at least the same air time and probably more. Compared to high line drives with front and rear of the disc at the same height.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Yay! finally got to see brad throw. Blake kept telling me the power you have, but I could never see a video. And now I know the power you can generate and i'm digging it. BIG ARM! Ahhh I finally got my fix, nice form.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 pm

I have learned a lot from the video.

My footwork needs a lot of work. I am trying to learn to throw from my back foot and not from my lead foot.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Video Critique