1. I think intermediate should be OK. If you shoot par at Hyland you shold do well.
2. That is your choice. The Bryant Lake open is next weekend if you happen to like that course better. Check out http://www.mfaonline.org/calendar.php
for more tournaments.
3. I reccomend pre-registering. Nothing like showing up the day of, and finding that all the spots are filled.
4. You should have a decent grasp on the rules...mostly for OB shots. It's C teir tourney and at the intermediate level, nobody is going to be a real prick about the rules. Ask questions if you're not sure.
5. I just started playing tournaments this year and was surprised how long they last. At least 3 hours per 18. Lunch or at least a break is provided between rounds. Bring a powerbar or something with you on the course tho.
6. Depends on the tourney. 2nd round is always grouped by similar scores.
7. You could get lunch together. Would probably help you both feel more at ease having a friend to talk to before/in between rounds.
8. Probably need to have a shirt on. Collars are not necessary at C-teirs.