Disc Tuning

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Timko » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:11 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:Furthur - you still got those proto Blurrs you tuned into blobs? I crack up when I think about you throwing them off old #10 at Turkey Creek and they'd turn over instantly and not come back.

Haha, yea, I remember that. It was back when I was throwing all anhyzers with tuned Spirits. I tried to tune one of those proto blurrs, and turned it into a roller.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:51 am

There is one thing that I would have included in Seth's vid.

Once you remove the flash from a new disc you can basically match two discs from the same mold to roughly the same stability quite easily.

Take you new disc and old disc and place them flat on the table next to each other. Line the discs up beak to beak (nose to nose). The bottom edge of the beak should be the same height off the table for both discs.

You can then tune the disc up or down to match the beak height.

Normal disc wear will grind down the bottom of the disc. That is why the old discs will be less stable. I had cyclone once that had worn down until the bead was completely gone. The difference between this old one and a new one was 1/16" to 1/8"/ that is a lot.
Last edited by Bradley Walker on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby tumpsi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:01 am

disc tuning rules
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I posted this before but it is gone... like someone deleted it.

You can match discs to each other by lining the discs up flat on a table nose to nose and matching the height of the bottom wing by tuning.

your previous post abou this was in the "Difference between old and new mold TeeRex?" thread on page 2.

Lost and found.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:44 pm

You're good...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Does tuning a disc affect it's glide?
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:07 pm

understable = glide
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby geoloseth » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Like Aaron said understable discs tend to glide more than overstable discs. However there is a limit. My understable teerex glides better than my overstable one but it still doesnt have the glide of something that was molded to be understable like a wraith.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 am

I tuned my 134 Diablo DT from roller to s-curver from standstill. It's still very fast!!! About 7 degrees gyzer and it'll s-curve nicely and flex back dependably with a semi hard fade that limits maximum distance potential. Actually this disc flies farthest on a low line drive because it'll start to fade so hard once the speed drops. This disc seems to have a very high cruising speed. Fortunately being faster than 166 Wraith this disc is quite far when the fade starts. This disc does glide well but the hard fade kills the ultimate distance potential. UL RIDT doesn't suffer from that problem when tuned so that the beak is higher than new. Unfortunately mine is green and it landed in a jungle and I didn't find it :-(

I'm not too bitter because I threw my Wraith and 166 Leopard farther than the best RIDT throw which wasn't that great being too low. Lost potential is still displeasing.

My 171 Star Destroyer 1st run broken in flew about as far as the UL Diablo today.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby steezo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:23 pm

is Gyzer like a Giant Hyzer? :lol:
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby JR » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 am

steezo wrote:is Gyzer like a Giant Hyzer? :lol:

With the correct disc it is if you have the arm for it :-D Or a geezer throwing a hyzer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Decoy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:41 am

Man, I have never even considered doing something like that to one of my discs. When I was watching, all I could think was "Oh my god, you are RUINING your disc" lol. seems my initial thoughts were way off.

I am certainly going to go try this tho, my star destroyer has been turning a bit much as of late, and I have an old Xclone that might make it back into play if I can get it to fly more overstable.

How often do you do this? I'm sure it's a judgment call based on flight patterns, an estimate would be awesome.
Decoy
Noob

Postby marmoset » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:53 am

steezo wrote:is Gyzer like a Giant Hyzer? :lol:

I thought a gyzer was the resultant splash from hyzering onto the lake.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Bruce » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 am

Ok, I'd never heard of this before today, so I'm trying it out.
I lost my perfectly broken in Star Wraith at the weekend, and the only Wraith the shop had was a Pro, and it's way more stable than the old one. So I've understable tuned it as per the video, and I'll let you know how it flies at league tonight :)
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Bruce wrote:Ok, I'd never heard of this before today, so I'm trying it out.
I lost my perfectly broken in Star Wraith at the weekend, and the only Wraith the shop had was a Pro, and it's way more stable than the old one. So I've understable tuned it as per the video, and I'll let you know how it flies at league tonight :)

Watch the Pro!!! It will tune soooooo fast!!! Take it easy.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique