star

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

star

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:55 pm

Is star plastic unique to Innova? Are any of the other manufacturers developing something similar?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:18 pm

there isn't really anything ground breaking about this plastic.

it is most similar to the older 10X kc drivers that had CE blend in it. nowadays it's most similar to gateway E and DGA plastic.

imo, if it goes full on, it's stupid they would charge more for it as i'm sure it doesn't cost them more for the plastic itself.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Blake_T wrote:there isn't really anything ground breaking about this plastic.

it is most similar to the older 10X kc drivers that had CE blend in it. nowadays it's most similar to gateway E and DGA plastic.

imo, if it goes full on, it's stupid they would charge more for it as i'm sure it doesn't cost them more for the plastic itself.

The only Innova disc that I throw right now is the pro wraith, and that one isn't available yet in star. I hear so much excitement about these from others that it has me interested.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:48 pm

people are notorious for over-hyping stuff.

imo, innova's dx plastic still has the best FLIGHT out of any other plastic they run.

i could care less about feel, durability, etc. until they make something that FLIES BETTER.

people always seem to look at discs expecting to drill a tree 10' off the teepad direct hit and "ruin" a disc. if i think i'm going to hit that tree, i generally pick a different line.

/rant off
Blake_T

Postby Supermau » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 am

Blake_T wrote:people are notorious for over-hyping stuff.

imo, innova's dx plastic still has the best FLIGHT out of any other plastic they run.

i could care less about feel, durability, etc. until they make something that FLIES BETTER.

people always seem to look at discs expecting to drill a tree 10' off the teepad direct hit and "ruin" a disc. if i think i'm going to hit that tree, i generally pick a different line.

/rant off

I couldn't agree with you more! Although I've found the Pro Wraith to be one I really like, the other 99% of my bag is DX and Pro D. It does fly better.
Supermau
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:15 am

Supermau wrote:
Blake_T wrote:people are notorious for over-hyping stuff.

/rant off

I couldn't agree with you more! Although I've found the Pro Wraith to be one I really like, the other 99% of my bag is DX and Pro D. It does fly better.

I've grown fond of the x plastic. I'm gonna try what you suggested, to carry several of the same mold to alternate them between rounds. I also try to use z or ce when there's a good chance of hitting a tree. My problem is that I hit trees when there is a "small" chance of hitting one. I still have an xd that tore almost in half. We glued it back together dry well I think, cause back then we couldnt afford to order another one.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

have you thrown one?

Postby asimo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:51 pm

I bought a Star Teebird the moment it became available(cause I'm a disc junky :shock:), and I love it. I'm not sure that any of Innova's prices are fair, and if you are on a budget DX plastic might make a lot more sense. I also love my DX Teebirds and I think they are more glidy than the Star. The Star's grip and fade are both more reliable imo. I also play at a home course that unfortunately has a lot of concrete. My DX stuff changes fairly quickly but so far the Star is holding up to be about as tough as my Champion plastic. I think Star plastic looks to be a great comprimise between the good parts of both DX, Champion and Pro plastic. Now make me a non-CFR Star Roc and I will be a happy camper, (like thats gonna happen). :lol:
asimo
Noob

Re: have you thrown one?

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:28 pm

asimo wrote:I bought a Star Teebird the moment it became available(cause I'm a disc junky :shock:), and I love it. I'm not sure that any of Innova's prices are fair, and if you are on a budget DX plastic might make a lot more sense. I also love my DX Teebirds and I think they are more glidy than the Star. The Star's grip and fade are both more reliable imo. I also play at a home course that unfortunately has a lot of concrete. My DX stuff changes fairly quickly but so far the Star is holding up to be about as tough as my Champion plastic. I think Star plastic looks to be a great comprimise between the good parts of both DX, Champion and Pro plastic. Now make me a non-CFR Star Roc and I will be a happy camper, (like thats gonna happen). :lol:

I'm not sure if DX is the greater value. I haven't tried carrying several to delay wear, but it seems that they beat up very fast. Where as I still have z xs's that fly like they did 5 years ago.

One question I've been meaning to ask Blake: Does DX or pro D plastic give you more distance than x or z?

I've heard theories about their surface creating air pockets comparable to the dimples on a golf ball that increase distance. What do y'all think?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:05 pm

They just released the Star Wraith, I havne't thrown it yet, cause my local store only has the 175g versions. My friend got the only 169g on teh shelf >_< I really liek the Star plastic feel. The place where I get discs at charges the same price for star as they do for Champ plastic.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:25 pm

the beatedness of dx plastic happens quickly at the start (they stop looking and flying new) but the aging process is actually pretty slow if you take care of your discs with maintnance (sanding down rough spots, bending out warping, rotating discs, etc.). the idea with dx is to love them after they have been thrown a few weeks.

dx plastic is longer than pro, pro is longer than champ.
x plastic is longer than d, d is longer than z.

the concept behind air friction:
discs fall off and fade opposite the direction of the spin. to keep a disc from falling off and fading, you want this to happen as late as possible. more air friction lets the disc "grip" the air more and pulls/holds (stability depends on the mold) the disc in the direction of the spin. the later the disc fades, the longer it can hold the air pocket under it that keeps it in the air. the longer the disc stays in the air, the farther it goes.

star plastic is more expensive than champ on the wholesale end but cheaper to produce than champ...

the run of star wraiths is noticeably grippier than the other star discs so i see some promise.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 pm

hey josh where did you find the star wraiths? Up at Wright life? Theres nowhere else that I know of that carries current DG stuff, near by. Im getting over there to the wright life this weekend hopnig to find a couple discs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:hey josh where did you find the star wraiths? Up at Wright life? Theres nowhere else that I know of that carries current DG stuff, near by. Im getting over there to the wright life this weekend hopnig to find a couple discs.

Yes the Wright Life. they had about 5-6 173g 6-8 174-175g and I think they had liek 2 or 3 171g. Some very weird colors. One looked liek Grass the other was this Aquamarine color...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:if you take care of your discs with maintnance (sanding down rough spots, bending out warping, rotating discs, etc.).

dx plastic is longer than pro, pro is longer than champ.
x plastic is longer than d, d is longer than z.

Thnx Blake. That answers my questions and helps me see why I've developed a liking to x plastic though is does seem to beat up fast for me.

One other question for you: this sanding and smoothing you talk about, can it be done to x as well? I may need to take a picture to show you what I mean. But my x avenger got a chunk coming out of it the first time I threw it, a big chunk. It doesn't seem to affect the slight, but it catches grass when it lands, sometimes stopping the skip. Should I take some fine sand paper to it? I'm worried it may further damage the disc.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:07 pm

take some sand paper to it.

the downside of x plastic is that if it gets warped it will NOT unbend.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 am

Here I go waking up another thread:

My pro wraith has begun to lose stability. Those of you that have thrown the pro and star, how do they compare in say stability, fade, and glide?

Or should I just get another pro? I threw a star wraith (175) once, and it was not as long as my pro and had more fade.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment