putter stability for beginners

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

putter stability for beginners

Postby bucknuts » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 pm

I am curious about the suggested disc stability for beginner's putting?

I used Aviar PA (stable), D Banger GT (a bit overstable) and X Soft Banger GT (overstable), and Birdie (stable)..

I am thinking about trying different putters like Wizard, Challenger, Magnet, Rhyno.

Your comments?
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Wizard.

That's all ya need to know. Just buy a Wizard and yer set :)
Get rid of all that other junk, and use the Wizard :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby swel304 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm

all putters are made to go generally straight. Pick one. Putt with it for at least ,oh.... 20 rounds or so. At that point you will have a good idea of how much effect this actual disc is having.

This is a variation of advice that I have heard from a local pro (86 world champion Jhonny Sias), which goes something like this.

Pick a mold. Buy 6 of that mold. Throw 100 putts every day (even if your just throwing at a spot on a tree or something),for a month. If at this point you feel you still have a putting issue that is caused by the disc, pick another mold that has the characteristics needed to correct your issue. rinse, repeat.

I havent gotten the chance to play with him much but anyone around here will tell you, johnny does not miss putts. At our recent bagtag tourney, the club "pro" took the #2 tag with -8, Johnny took the #1 with -14 (on a 19 hole course). His drives are accuarte but not insanely long like alot of pro's, he wins in the short game because he can putt like nobodies business.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby bucknuts » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:37 pm

Whoa. 14 under in a 19 hole course. Wow! Awesome putter, obviously.
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Re: putter stability for beginners

Postby Robbie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 pm

bucknuts wrote:I am curious about the suggested disc stability for beginner's putting?

I used Aviar PA (stable), D Banger GT (a bit overstable) and X Soft Banger GT (overstable), and Birdie (stable)..

I am thinking about trying different putters like Wizard, Challenger, Magnet, Rhyno.

Your comments?

I am definately a beginner and was putting with a Birdie and an Aviar. I got a wizard in and brought it out to the course. It was amazing the difference for me. people I normally play with were in awe at the putts I was making, although I feel that was a lucky day, days after I still noticed an improvement in my putts. Now when I miss its usually a little low and I hit the pole, Flies very straight for me.
Robbie
Noob

Postby swel304 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:54 pm

As for praise/bashing individual putters.... the birdie makes a great water dish if you bring your dog along. :lol:
I like the wizard and warlock because the S plastic takes friggin forever to beat into a differet flight path and the grip is great reguardless of the temp. Also, I use a fan/control type grip for putting and the ultra thin flight plate gives it a great feel for my putting style.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:16 pm

I would say wizard, magnet, or maybe a rhyno.

Then again it does have a lot to do with what disc feels good for them. After trying 5 or 6 different putters, I finally got the wizard and I wish I had done it a lot sooner. My form was so off from the other putters I'm still woking on keeping it on line with the basket. It flies straight but I'm so used to compensating for the fade that I miss to the right often.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 pm

I've used a bunch of putters and the only conclusion I can come to is find one that you really like the feel of - one that just seems to fit your hand really well. Then putt with that and see how you do.

The Polecat and Birdie have really big rims (height-wise), so I'm not fond of them.

The soft magnet, rhyno, aviar, warlock, wizard, challenger and many others are very similar to me. If somebody said "you have to putt with this today" my game wouldn't go in the toilet regardless of which one I used.

It also depends on what you want to use your putter for. A wizard can be used for driving, upshots & putting, so it's pretty useful. The reason is it's stability. I carry a Warlock for putting and straight shots and a wizard for headwinds and longer drives.

I know many folks that use the aviar and challenger the same way. I used to throw a soft magnet, but while it's great for up shots and putting, it's a little funky for me to drive with since it's so much softer than the other dx type plastics.

You also have to figure in your putting style - do you hyzer putt, flat putt, anhyzer putt, pitch putt, etc. Each of the discs will vary slightly depending on the style. A wizard will come out of an anhyzer much stronger than, say, a warlock or a rhyno or soft magnet.

I used to throw straight on with a soft magnet, but now have switched to a pitch putt and find the stiffer putters just feel better since they don't give when I pitch them.

I do recommend (also) that once you pick a putter, grab several so that you can practice a lot. Putting with 4, 5 or 10 putters is a lot more fun than with just 1 when you are practicing.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Equipment