YouTube: Ultimate Disc Golf Show clinic videos...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

YouTube: Ultimate Disc Golf Show clinic videos...

Postby sleepy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am

While the Ultimate Disc Golf Show has some great videos in general, of special interest to those of us looking to improve our game are the videos of the clinic given by Ken Climo and Gregg Hosfeld. They talk in some detail about basic topics like stretching, grip, upshots, putting, etc. I know I found Kenny's tips on grip especially insightful.

Check 'em out!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks for posting that link. I reference those a lot, but never have the link.

I hear ya about the grip. that vid lead me to change my grip, solving most of my nose angle issues.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby black udder » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:57 am

Speaking of this Climo grip, which has been discussed a lot here, I'd like to mention that I've tried it before and just had no luck with it. The grip didn't feel natural and the discs kept slipping out early.

Well, I kept trying to put my fingers in the lower position (stacking the middle and ring on top of the pinky) while I wasn't play disc golf. After awhile, they adjusted and it has become easier to actually grip the disc in this configuration.

What made a difference (recently) was that I really gripped the disc with some power. I laid the top part of my palm over the top of the disc and laid my thumb more towards the flight plate than the edge and really held it tightly. This made a big difference in the disc slippage. Can't say it's helped/hurt my distance, but it does allow me to grab the disc hard.

I like the 4 finger power grip, but have a tendency to hold tighter with my middle finger, which means that's what the disc rips off. Unfortunately, what happens is it bends the tip of my finger and bruises the joint. By switching to the Climo grip, it takes that finger out of the equation and still allows for good a good solid grip and a power throw.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:54 am

I had a bit of trouble at first adjusting to climo's grip, but it really helps if you remember his bit about pushing with your thumb into the index finger, but towards the palm. Once I got that down I could see the results instantly.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 pm

When I used that grip I had a nasty problem of turning every shot over. I'm not sure what was causing it but when I switched grips it went away. Who knows.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 pm

I use it and LOVE it! I use it on everything that isnt a putt. It was very helpful in reducing OAT.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Timko » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:22 am

I use variations of the fork grip for all my shots, and have done so for about 4 years now, when Aleksey Bubis came back from Florida having played a few rounds with Climo. I was just switching from a sidearm player to a backhand player, so I never had to go through the transition of learning the power grip then switching.

As a result, I think I can control every shot in my arsenal with that grip.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:42 am

rusch_bag wrote:When I used that grip I had a nasty problem of turning every shot over. I'm not sure what was causing it but when I switched grips it went away. Who knows.

I noticed something similar and I think it has to do with the motion your wrist takes with that grip. It's different than with a power grip, and until you're used to it the way that feels "right" is actually something far different from what IS...I found I was rolling my wrist anhyzer and had to remind myself to adjust how the throw felt based on the different angle the disc sits at in my hand.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:48 pm

rusch_bag wrote:When I used that grip I had a nasty problem of turning every shot over. I'm not sure what was causing it but when I switched grips it went away. Who knows.

If you grip it strong, you can get some zip on the disc - it might be that you're releasing a little anhyzer or that the postion is pulling you into a little OAT.

It's also possible that with the added speed/snap that maybe the discs are acting more understable.

I was able to get discs out a little further because I'm able to get a better grip on the disc and reduce the disc slipping out. Perhaps you're suffering from some of the same slippage?
Last edited by black udder on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Fritz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm

FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby latitude » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Is that a Z BUzzz the champ is holding? :shock: :lol:
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique