Nose Down

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nose Down

Postby BAM » Sun May 07, 2006 11:19 pm

Keeping the nose down for distance drives is something that has plagued my game for the last couple of months, to the point where anything from a Valk and faster is essentially useless for this.

For max distance, I can throw Aviars up near 300 feet and Rocs between 310-330 consistently, but when it comes to drivers I just can't seem to keep them from popping up in the air. Not just high speed drivers but slower ones like Cheetahs and Gazelles, which barely go farther than my Rocs.

What might I be doing/not doing that I can't keep the nose down and throw a similar arced trajectory for drivers compared to putters and mids?
BAM
Noob

nose down

Postby distantdg » Sun May 07, 2006 11:21 pm

for me the biggest tip to getting nose down was making sure i had my weight forward.
distantdg
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 3:12 am

usual suspects:
1) nose up grip
2) not weight forward
3) not finishing
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 am

Not weight forward will definately get the nose up. I was thinking of a picture of a grip I saw somewhere on this site. I'm not sure I can describe it, but others may be able to chime in.

The disc has to line up with your forearm; I have to to bring my wrist in a little to accomplish this.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Warlord » Tue May 09, 2006 9:30 am

I am in no way an expert on this, but I'll tell you what helped me....

1. I switched to the Bonapane grip, which makes it easier to release on a nose-down angle.

2. I stopped trying to muscle the disc....now I am "slinging" or "whipping" my arm with the turn of my shoulders. I would say that I am using about half of the effort now than I was when I was trying to muscle the throw.

3. Weight Forward.....start the pull when your weight is on your plant foot (right foot for RHBH.)

For the Bonapane grip description and pic, read "grip it to rip it" in the instructional articles. I've heard that it's not the best grip for power/distance though. Blakes articles on distance get into the weight forward issue and have helped me tremendously.
Warlord
Noob

Postby BAM » Wed May 10, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks for the input. It definitely seems to be not enough weight forward, but what exactly is "not finishing"?

Not allowing the body to pivot after the throw?
BAM
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 10, 2006 2:37 pm

BAM wrote:Thanks for the input. It definitely seems to be not enough weight forward, but what exactly is "not finishing"?

Not allowing the body to pivot after the throw?

Yeah thats part of it. You need to follow through across your body. Chop your elbow, but follow through.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 10, 2006 7:37 pm

the finish is pulling strong into the rip and through the follow through.

it is a conscious motion.
Blake_T

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu May 11, 2006 10:28 am

I keep hearing about this "chop you elbow" thing, but can't find a description of what the heck that means. I think I might already do it, but just in case....What does it mean?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 11, 2006 1:37 pm

bend your elbow.

then unbend your elbow.

you have now "chopped"
Blake_T

Postby daniebl2 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm convinced my problem is grip related...but I'm not sure how to correct it...I've read all of the instructional article (several times in fact) but I must be missing something.....could someone elaborate on a nose up grip and even more importantly a nose down grip.

If someone could post a picture it might really clear thing up...something showing the Starting position and the hit / release position for both a nose up and a nose down.

When a disc is flying nose down, should you be able to see the bottom of the disc, if so how much? I keep thinking that this nose down will be completely obvious just watching the disc flight...just how pronounced is the nose down flight?

Thanks all

.... I'm throwing with a bent elbow and my max golf D is about 310 ft. I know I should be hitting at least 350ft.
daniebl2
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

my grip article has pictures...

nose down at the rip is mainly due to being weight forward and keeping the disc close to your body.

how nose down varies by player, and how much you need varies by disc.

it is usually somewhere in the ballpark of 5-20 degrees.
Blake_T

Postby daniebl2 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:58 pm

Blake,
How would one go about getting maximum nose angle? If I'm understanging the pictures and everything I've read so far- The nose is basically what I'm griping. So, If I hold the disc straight out (approx 45 deg with a slightly bent belbow to represent where I'm at with the hit) The edge oppisite my grip should be angle up.
Maybe It's because I have small hands, but when I adjust my grip to achieve this oreintation the disc want to slide down below the seam of my hand....It also wants to rotate clockwise in the seam of my hand when I'm putting my index finger onto the rim (3rd picture with the thumbs down in the Grip it to Rip it article). What grip adjustments would you recommend to someone with small hands?
daniebl2
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:01 pm

i have tiny hands.

nose down has more to do with forearm and disc orientation than the disc in your hand.

i would guess your problems are more related to body placement than hand size if it is a problem with all discs (mine is only problematic on discs 2.2cm or wider on the rim).

to see what i am talking about, hold the disc at the would be-rip point while standing upright.

now lean your upper body forward 45 degrees and hold it there again.

more weight forward = more nose down.
Blake_T

Postby daniebl2 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:57 am

Blake,
Thanks for the help....I went out yesterday and tried a few things.

Here's the list of my problems (Disc Golf related only). This won't be a big surprise as you've preached these things numberous times. I thought I was doing all this but slowing everthig down except the x step and it finally clicked.

1) I wasn't getting my CG far enough foreward. Finishing leaning foreword over the plant foot really, really helped.
I had flat-footed, slow x-step, and think was keeping my CG behind the plant foot.- Watching the Ken Klimo video help me understand just how quick his steps are. (Basically tried to imitate this without taking such long steps. I think this was my biggest problem.

2) I did adjust my grip slightly to get the base of my thumb ontop of the flight plate a little more (may or maynot have been a contributor)

3) My pull through was starting much too fast too soon.. ( I didn't even notice this until I slowed down to like 70% power)

4) I also changed my pull through to be a little higher..about shoulder height and closer to my body....this really helps get the acceleration into the whip.

I'm definitely getting the nose flight I knew I missing. The discs where coming out very fast....The turn over wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting but still good.
I was shattering my personal best golf distance and it didn't seem like I was even throughing hard.....My personal best prior was around 300-310. I marked my best at 375 feet (80% power), I had quite a few others with the same potention (Stupid Trees).

My new problem is with accuracy (Go figure since I basically changed how I've been throwing completely)....but once I practice some more I'm confident I'll regain my timing and improve here.
daniebl2
Noob

Next

Return to Technique