Three throws from pros at the Copenhagen Open

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Three throws from pros at the Copenhagen Open

Postby rehder » Thu May 01, 2008 3:28 am

These are three vids showing the throws of David Feldberg, Timo Pursio and Karl Johan Nybo on hole 16, which is a 136meter par 3., during the final. They where all line drives. No distance lines

Course map below
http://www.cphopen.dk/default.asp?Page=course

KJ parked the hole, Feldberg was a little short and to the left and Pursio was off to the right.

As for discs, I know that feldberg threw an Xcaliber, and KJ threw a pro destroyer. They had a slight head-crosswind from the left.

Enjoy

http://www.rehder.dk/clips/feldberg_16.MOV

http://www.rehder.dk/clips/pursio_16.MOV

http://www.rehder.dk/clips/kj_16.MOV
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am

Any chance you'd put those up on youtube? The 15k/sec they download at is just horrid...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 am

I got 'em at 150K/s...could just be your connection
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby SkaBob » Thu May 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Tried it from home and from work... I wouldn't have posted that if it was my connection. Heck, I just tried again and got 3.3k/sec.

I've speed-tested my line and it's not running slow (if it was, I wouldn't be able to keep enough of a connection open to my work to be able to do my job).
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I got 'em pretty quick. But not as fast as Youtube.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Mine was very quick too. I'm on a cable modem.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

.mov files are way better anyway b/c you can just click and drag the progress button and rewind/ffw at whatever speed you like, frame by frame. its not just 2 or 3 segments you can rewind to like in youtube vids. not to mention, the picture is better.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:01 pm

I got em fine through my wireless laptop...

KJ has the whole Kallstrom no-follow through thing going on. Instant stop at release.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Beat Roc » Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 am

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:.mov files are way better anyway b/c you can just click and drag the progress button and rewind/ffw at whatever speed you like, frame by frame. its not just 2 or 3 segments you can rewind to like in youtube vids. not to mention, the picture is better.

I agree. There's so much going on in a short period of time that the frame by frame option allows one to analyze body position and timing sequence that would be impossible for anybody other than Blake to even see. :wink:

I also downloaded rather quickly with my DSL line. Not super fast, but within a couple of seconds.
Beat Roc
Tree Magnet

Postby Beat Roc » Fri May 02, 2008 1:04 am

Whoops forgot the reason I came to post here in the first place!

Feldberg-- I was surprised how far from the chest he's pulling through and how little bend he has in his elbow. At first I thought, well, 450 is not far for him so we're not seeing his distance technique. But if that's the case why is he throwing an x-caliber with a full x step (rather than the little shuffle he does sometimes)?

KJ-- (as noted) his follow through is unusual. He never really picks up his left foot (sorta kinda) and after his heel pivot he doesn't move to the ball of the foot to complete his full rotation.

All-- discs look to be coming out way early. Maybe its the angle, but there's so much talk on this forum about having the chest square to the target at the rip and "getting the hand out of the way" at full extension toward the basket, it surprised me.

BTW the frame by frame view mentioned above really helps in seeing this stuff.
Beat Roc
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 am

yeah, there seem to be odd points about each of those drives... i've been thinking it would be interesting to hear some discussion about how/why these are different than "ideal" form.

Beat Roc wrote:Feldberg-- I was surprised how far from the chest he's pulling through and how little bend he has in his elbow. At first I thought, well, 450 is not far for him so we're not seeing his distance technique. But if that's the case why is he throwing an x-caliber with a full x step (rather than the little shuffle he does sometimes)?

there's something odd about the timing, i can see power coming from the hips but it's at the same time as the pull rather than before it.

Beat Roc wrote:All-- discs look to be coming out way early. Maybe its the angle, but there's so much talk on this forum about having the chest square to the target at the rip and "getting the hand out of the way" at full extension toward the basket, it surprised me.

i noticed that too. i think part of it is the way wrist extension makes the disc pop out to the left; this came up a few days ago in bradley's thread. but yeah the rip still seems early relative to the shoulder position.

Beat Roc wrote:BTW the frame by frame view mentioned above really helps in seeing this stuff.

agreed. it's great to be able to scrub back and forth.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri May 02, 2008 11:07 am

mark12b wrote:
Beat Roc wrote:All-- discs look to be coming out way early. Maybe its the angle, but there's so much talk on this forum about having the chest square to the target at the rip and "getting the hand out of the way" at full extension toward the basket, it surprised me.

i noticed that too. i think part of it is the way wrist extension makes the disc pop out to the left; this came up a few days ago in bradley's thread. but yeah the rip still seems early relative to the shoulder position.

I think that is correct.

Feldberg has tremendous disc pivot. The disc just shoots left as the disc pivots into the launch.

Pusio has beautiful form but his disc extension is not as dramatic as Feldberg's. His wrist is still bent back in the follow through.

I always wondered how Feldberg hit it so good.

Is it me, or is Feldberg getting leaner and leaner?
Last edited by Bradley Walker on Fri May 02, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby x-out » Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am

Bradley Walker wrote:Is it me, or is Feldberg getting leaner and leaner?

i totally agree
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 pm

i dunno, i saw dave in person a couple weekends ago and he didn't look much different from when i've seen him before -- though being clean-shaven does make him look younger.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Mon May 05, 2008 5:26 am

On grips....Feldberg's grip can be seen on some youtube vid. Dont have link, but if you search on these forums you should find it.

KJ grips the disc waaay down in his fingers, and hardly has any palm contact with the disc
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique