Running a Demo day.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Running a Demo day.

Postby Fasteddy411 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:30 pm

I looked back through a few pages of topics, but didn't see anything on this.
Me and few buddies just installed a 9 hole course in our local town park and are planning on running a sort of demo day. We want to introduce people to the sport and give away a disc to everyone that shows up. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done something like this and if so what did you show/teach to everyone. We need some ideas on how to run this thing. we set it for 2 hours. Any comments are welcome...thanks.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Postby corey115 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Definitely throwing demos, pure basics of putting, giving away the right discs to people (lightweight/understable)
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Fasteddy411 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:23 pm

yeah we were going for discs in the 150 to 160 range, maybe sharks or something along those lines.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Postby DanTaylor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm

We are trying to do the same thing here in Grand Junction. I would suggest teach basics like corey suggested. Very basic putting and very basic throwing. No X Step stand them at the front of the box and teach the lawn mower pull or however you want to describe it. I may not be the best DGer ever but I know I can give someone a solid foundation to build from to play this game and that's how I start anyone I teach to play the game.
GorillaTactics wrote:the Wii disc golf game will lead to more shattered LCD TV's than baseball, bowling, and tennis combined.
DanTaylor
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Q Sent

Postby Fritz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:08 pm

DanTaylor wrote:. No X Step stand them at the front of the box and teach the lawn mower pull or however you want to describe it. I may not be the best DGer ever but I know I can give someone a solid foundation to build from to play this game and that's how I start anyone I teach to play the game.

This is how I taught DT and TR to play. I highly recommend you do not spend too much time on the X-step. They need to know what it is, but tell them they'll learn that on a different demo day, and for now, let's get the throwing motion down. Trust me it works, so far the three people I have coached have benefited from this style of teaching.

Teach them the "sweeping the table" method on form and arm control. With smooth and precise form = distance and accuracy.

My recommendations:

1. Putting - Drive for show putt fo dough

2. Approach - a really great second shot will save your ass if you have misfortune on your drive. I've seen many "big arm" players take 6's and 7's on holes that are easy 2's for them. They miss that big drive, wind gusts the disc into a tree etc... they have no clue how to get to that basket.

3. Drive - Show them BH and FH - they need both. Demo hyzer, anhyzer and show them the difference between the drivers.

As for the disc, light in the mid 160's and understable driver.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Fasteddy411 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 am

Trust me i do not plan to get to involved. For the most part this is going to be children, we just want to demonstrate the very basics and explain how the game is played, and get them throwing. I am sure we'll use the stand still tee throw, and teach a bit about putting and just explain the rules a little bit. I was thinking maybe send a group a kids out with one experience person and plan all 9 holes.
Fasteddy411
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion